Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 10 (2,722 Views)
Accepted Solution

BDP-S6500 Netflix Freezing problem

Yeah, I've seen all the other threads about other Sony players freezing, but I didn't see one specifically for the BDP-S6500. Well, my experience is the same as everyone else's. Works fine with Amazon, works fine with YouTube, but after about 3 days of working fine with NetFlix it just starts freezing. I've reset, reconnected, reconfigured, tried wired and wireless, tested bandwidth, upgraded firmware, and still does the same thing. The only fix I've found is to unplug it for 15seconds, then plug it back in. This restarts the 3-day cycle. I agree with many others, the only permanent solution is to throw the piece of junk away and that is my ultimate plan. I'm just waiting on replacing my TV with a smart TV, and the second I do I'm recycling this player. I won't give it to Goodwlll as this would just be cruel to the next person who came into it's possesion. 

So disappointed with Sony products over the last 10-20yrs... :-( The glory days of Trinitron are definitely gone.

The thing that makes me most upset is I'm sure this could be fixed with a software and/or firmware upgrade... and everytime I see a new version I hold out hope and I am always disappointed.

Message 2 of 10 (2,653 Views)

Re: BDP-S6500 Netflix Freezing problem

Hi, Dervin

Welcome to Sony Community! 

Were there error messages or codes when you were trying to launch Netflix? Kindly refer to the link here for troubleshooting steps: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52909

Regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 10 (2,645 Views)

Hi Vincent,

I've tried all those things in the posting and it still happens. Once it starts happening it never corrects itself until I unplug it and plug it back in. This is the only fix I've found. I've tried reconfiguring the network, but this doesn't help. It's as if there is a buffer issue where a cache buffer is no longer being used and I'm at the mercy of spikes and valleys in my network connection. Whenever the issue happens I immediately do a bandwidth check of my network with my iPhone and consistently have over 30Mbits of bandwidth with low ping times. (I'm paying for 40Mb DSL)

Thanks,

Dervin

Message 4 of 10 (2,625 Views)

Hi dervin

In this case, since you have already done all the necessary troubleshooting steps and it still does not work, I would advise you to contact your local Service Centre for further diagnosis of your issue

Thanks!

Regards

Ann

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10 (2,345 Views)

I am having the same issue as you are, and it seemed to have started around the same time as your initial post, about 2-3 months ago.

I've also tried reconfiguring the network, reset settings, firmware is showing 100% up to date.  I have a good, fast router, and pay for 75MPS internet access.  On my phone and computer, bandwith tests come in around 60 MPS.  

The netflix stuttering/freezing happens on all shows, even old ones that are 480p, and bandwith being used is <1MBPs.  Seems like Netflix isn't buffering at all, along with a poor connection.  WIth my data bandwith, it should be able to stream 480p and even 1080p without any issues.  

I've shut all other devices off, to make sure I'm not robbing bandwith, but it makes no difference at all.

Seems like the only real solution, like you stated, is to power down the unit, and then I can watch between 1 and 4 hours of netflix before it starts stuttering and becomes useless again.

Did you ever find a solution?  Or did you return the player?

My player is about 5 months old, and this issue started about 2 months ago.

Thanks and good luck!

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 10 (2,336 Views)

Hi nozoxon,

I happened to have a Sony BDP-BX350, from a couple years ago upstairs on another TV I rarely use. (the price points made them both so attractive.) I swapped my 6500 with this 350 and it was great for about 2months. Then it started a new issue, but less frequently. Now, about once a week, it starts the frame freezes, but then it completely freezes, like the remote and buttons no longer work. Again, the solution is to unplug. The added feature on this 350 is whenever I unplug it all network settings are lost and I have to go through the setups again. I'm pretty sure it's only going to get more frequent and one day I'll be swapping my 6500 back. I would buy another one, different brand of course, but my idea is now to just wait it out and buy a 4K smart TV. I'm just waiting for the technology to settle, or my Pany plasma to bite the dust.

Good luck and if you ever do figure something out please post it.

Doug.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10 (2,318 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

This sounds like a similar problem to the one I was having, though mine was with videos from the Playstation Store rather than Netflix.

At the time of writing this I think I may have found a solution to it, which is to lower the MTU on your WAN settings on your router. I've described my circumstances here:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/BDV-N9200WL-freezing-when-playing-Playstat...

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 10 (1,959 Views)

Hi luke-h,
After changing my MTU on my main modem to 1400, then months of testing, with both a BDP-S6500 and BDPBX350, I've not had the freezing problem again. What this really means is the Sonys are not supporting the typical 1500 mtu, and although it doesn't mean much it does mean my entire house now has to suffer. So, now I'm testing a MTU setting of 1492 and will let you all know how it goes.
Message 9 of 10 (1,598 Views)

Hi Kewlbob,

Welcome to Sony Community!

Our apologies for the inconvenience that this may have caused. Your Netflix is working now with your Blu-ray player because you already performed one of the troubleshooting steps which is resetting the internet connection. To know more about the Netflix issue, you can check the information from this link: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52909.

Regards,
-Jay

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 10 of 10 (77 Views)

Have the same problem with my BDP-S5500. Started about 3 weeks ago and none of the suggestions actually work. Funny thing is that it is happening ONLY  when streaming Netflix.Man Sad I am so frustrated with this; no new software updates for a year and the interface gets on my nerves.Man Sad I am dumping my Sony player as soon as holiday shopping starts. Smiley Frustrated

APOLOGIES don't cut it anymore!!! Do something about it!!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook