Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (1,403 Views)
Accepted Solution

Bluray player BDP-S5500 suddenly stopped connecting to Media Server

The server on my Br player has quit connecting to my computer. It has been working fine until recently. At first it was just jerky play so I tried to reset it by going to the connection server settings. I removed all servers and tried to update list. My computer no longer shows up on the list . However running Network Diagnostics returns the message that  the computer server successfully connects with its MAC Addresses listed. Tried re-updating list but still it is blank. The players software is up to date according to network update. The computer is running Win7 and I am using Windows Media Center as a streamer. The BR player shows in the device list of  steaming options and has permission to stream. I have rebooted the computer, the router and done a factory reset of the BR player. My player is connected wirelessly to my network and both the player and computer are listed on the same network.  I have made no changes to the player software or computer system. 

I can run Netflix ,etc, AND the BR player can see my computer server in Diagnostics AND my computer sees the Bluray player in Streaming options.  So WHY does the BR player continue to show NO Media Server in the Home screen?  I just don't get it.

Message 2 of 3 (1,319 Views)

Re: Bluray player BDP-S5500 suddenly stopped connecting to Media Server

Hello Margthecar, thank you for your message. Welcome to SONY Community!

By setting up your computer as a Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) server, you can stream media, such as music, photos or video, over your network to a DLNA-supported unit. DLNA units include certain TVs, Blu-ray Disc® (BD) players, HiFi component systems and computers. Once the DLNA server and unit are set up and connected properly, the unit can access media from your Windows Media® Player 12 library.

Follow the procedure below to set up the DLNA server:

IMPORTANT:

• You must be connected to a network for this procedure to work properly.
  • If you are using third-party firewall or security software, you may have to configure it to allow the DLNA server access to your network.

1. Configure your network location as Home or Work.
2. Turn on Media Streaming: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33364

After following the steps above Windows Media Player 12 will be set up as a DLNA server. The steps to connect to the server will differ depending on the features and functionality of the Internet video device.

If the Internet video device is unable to detect Windows Media Player 12 as a DLNA server after following these step, you may want to consider using a media server software to set up the DLNA server. The following is a list of suggested media server software:

• Serviio™ media server
  • Plex™ media solutions
  • Elgato™ Eyeconnect (Apple® Mac OS® operating systems)
  • Twonky™ ecosystems

NOTE: The third-party software recommended above are provided for your convenience and should be used at your own risk. Sony does not support nor guarantee the reliability of unsupplied 3rd party software.

Hope this post helps you. If does, click on "accept as solution" 

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (1,300 Views)

Re: Bluray player BDP-S5500 suddenly stopped connecting to Media Server

I tried for several hours, using all the standard techniques, to get the Windows Media Player to work again as a server--which it did fine for a couple years before suddenly stopping to work.  Nothing I did got it to work again, so I can only assume there was a software update in Windows 7, Windows Media Player or the Bluray player that made it incompatible.

I concluded on my own that I probably needed new server software so, I downloaded and installed the free Serviio software and it just worked.  So I am all set.  I am sorry that the WMP stopped working, but I guess when it is free, you get what you pay for :-)

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook