Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Top 40 Artist
jehill
Accepted Solution

Is NSZ-GS8 Internet Player with Google Chrome internet speed limited?

[ Edited ]

A couple of days ago, I used the Amazon Instant Video service to watch “Olympus Has Fallen”.  I was surprised to see that I was getting stereo sound instead of Dolby Digital 5.1 sound.  I discovered that the Amazon Instant Video service reverts to stereo sound if the bandwidth is insufficient to support Dolby Digital 5.1.  This puzzled me, since I have an Ethernet connection to my GS8 from a wireless router in my entertainment system.

Next, I performed some speed tests.  I used Google Chrome to run the Comcast speed test by OOKLA at www.speedtest.comcast.net  on my GS8.  I consistently get a download speed of about 18.5Mbps.  I have the OOKLA speed test app at http://www.speedtest.net installed on my iPad and iPhone.  From 10 feet away from my entertainment center I consistently get a download speed of about 25Mbps on my iPad and about 20Mbps on my iPhone.

How can the speed via a wireless connection be higher than the speed via an Ethernet connection to the same router?  My suspicion is that the connection speed is somehow limited either by Google Chrome or the GS8.

Any feedback on this issue would be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
jehill

Re: Is NSZ-GS8 Internet Player with Google Chrome internet speed limited?

Today I tried connecting my GS8 directly to the Ethernet wall jack that my router is normally connected to and performed the speed test several times.  Its about 1Mbps second higher than when connected to router or about 19.5Mbps.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Thank you for the message, jehill!

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. Is the issue only happening on the "Olympus Has Fallen" movie or with other movies in Amazon Instant Video? Please try other movies in Amazon and check if other videos do the same. Also, try other internet applications (e.g. Netflix).

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
jehill

[ Edited ]

I haven't dowloaded any other movies.  It will take some time for me to download other movies.  Should the 18.5Mbps download speed be suffient to receive an HD movie with Dolby 5.1 sound?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

An Internet connection speed of 2.5 Mbps or higher is required for standard-definition (SD) programming.

An Internet connection speed of 10 Mbps or higher is required for high-definition (HD) programming.

Unfortunately, Amazon On Demand high definition (HD) playback is not currently supported by Sony Internet video devices. Internet video devices will only playback movies and programs available on Amazon On Demand in standard definition (SD).

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
jehill

Even though Amazon On Demand high definition (HD) playback is not currently supported by Sony Internet video devices, I must say that HD video and stereo sound playback was flawless!

Today it occurred to me that the fact that the Google Chrome download speed is only ~18.5Mbps doesn't necessarily mean that the download speed when streaming movies isn't higher.  The only reason that I assumed that it wasn't was because according the the Amazon Instant Video site, the sound streamed reverts back to stereo if the bandwidth is insufficient to stream Dolby Digital sound.  There could be other reasons as well, such as excessive demand for a movie.

Whatever the case, I am positive that apparent low download speed is caused either by the GS8 or the apps used.  It is not my network.  The wall jack Ethernet connection that I tried that resulted in a slight increase in download speed to ~19.5Mbps supports a GBit connection to my router.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

You may click this link to test the speed of your Internet connection.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
jehill

Thanks for that link.  I will have to try the VUDU app as suggested.  I went back and corrected my link to www.speedtest.net, which is what I use on my iPad and iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
jehill

I just tried the speed test in the VUDU app.  It tells me that my download speed is 9.0 or > and capable of viewing their highest quality HDX movies.  In other words, its good enough.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Thank you so much for letting us know about this, jehill!

What do you mean when you said the download speed is good enough? Also, is there anything else further that we can assist you with? 

Please use plain text.