Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Groovin'
CFByrne
Accepted Solution

Netflix Home Screen "Too Big" for TV Screen, Goes Off Edges

[ Edited ]

I have a new BDP-S390/BX39.

I have an active Netflix account and it is enabled for streaming.

The Blu-ray is accessing the internet fine, other apps are working fine. For example, Amazon Video, etc etc.

When I go to Netflix however, the main menu seems to be going "off screen" as if it is "too large". EVERY other app looks fine.

This is HDMI to my 47" Vizio SV470XVT 120Hz 1080P

Pix below...

1) Amazon Video working fine

2) Netflix Welcome screen working fine

3) Netflix Home Screen Too Big

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ShaunH

Re: Netflix Home Screen "Too Big" for TV Screen, Goes Off Edges

Hello Charlie,

The Netflix home screen with the movie queue not displaying as full image is not a malfunction of the Blu-ray Disc player. This is a normal operation. You can view the part of the screen not appearing on the TV by scrolling to the left or right. You can find the same information in the below provided link.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C1028818

Thank you for your post.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dotdll

[ Edited ]

I know this is a sony forum but I thought I would share anyway... After trying several combinations of tv's and blu ray players It seems to be the combination that matters. If I use my samsung bd 5500 blu ray player hooked up to my Samsung 6300 tv, netflix displays correctly (menu on left, and a display of 4-5 rows of videos on right) similar to computer/web viewing. But, if I hook up my samsung bd5900 player to the same tv, its as you mentioned, a netflix home screen that seems too large for the screen. I have called both manufacturers samsung and netflix and both blame the other. So in essence no one has a 'fix'. I have reset everything possible, and reinstalled all software and firmware, but nothing helped.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
williamk50

I have the same exact problem with a samsung blu ray player we just purchased. model # bd-e5400. The neflix menu screen is too large  like it is magnified cutting off half of the menu screen which makes it impossible to navigate the netflix menu. All other applications(youtube,pandora, etc.) appear normal so it is not a reslution issue with either the tv or the blu ray player. I have tried changing all resolutions on both the tv and blu ray player with no luck. I have tried it with three different tv's and all have the same problem with the netflix menu screen. Netflix videos play fine. Have been waiting two days to get contacted by the second tier(whatever that means) support form Samsung. Hopefully they will have a solution.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jrn312

This is still a problem!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Razmear

[ Edited ]

185vs390.jpg

This problem is much worse on 4:3 aspect ratio TVs. I just upgraded from the S185 to the S390 and the Netflix navigation is almost unusable. Only being able to side scroll thru a queue of over 200 titles is horrible compaired to the grid mode used in the S185.
If a firmware update could bring me back to the S185 layout I'd be thrilled to death.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Dilbatt

I agree that these icons are way too large.  I just upgraded to the Sony BDP-S5100 (from a Sony BDP S570). The Netflix menu icons on the S570 were too small. You had to squint your eyes to read them. So, I upgrade to the S5100 and the icons are HUGE, and it doesn't really seem like it is by design.  If fact, the author of this post captured the problem well. It would be nice if there was an option to hit the "happy medium" in font sizes. Maybe add a Small, Medium and Large option?

Please tell me there is a fix for this. 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Good day and thank you for the comment. We are more than happy to forward your feedback onto the proper department. We place a very high value on feedback from our customers because it allows us to continue to improve. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
dtish

Was there ever a fix for this? I just bought a BDP 310, and I can't even read the video descriptions because the menu screen runs off the TV edge. I have a 42 inch Vizio. Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Hi dtish! 

I can't seem to locate the model number you provided. Click this link to get additional information on how to find the model number. Also, is this issue happening on other internet video applications (e.g. Youtube and Crackle)?

Please use plain text.