Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Garage Band
theblonde
Accepted Solution

Netflix streaming issue with bdp s390

[ Edited ]

I'm getting pretty frustrated and if I can't get this solved I'm going to take the player back and get another brand.  I just bought this player a few days ago.  I'm not having any issues at all except with streaming netflix.  Vudo and youtube and hula and everything else is fine for streaming.  I can stream netflix on my Wii with no problem at all.   There are constant starts and stops, sometimes getting stuck on the loading screen and then when I go back to resume, the movie will not start where it stopped.  This is happening on every movie I'm watching on netflix. 

I have a 8.0 Mbps fiber connection, that is steady, no problems that I'm aware of and speed tests indicate that it's as it should be, steady and consistent.

Blu Ray is connected wirelessly through my linksys router.  After moving my router around the signal is now at 100% constantly.  I phoned netflix  and they gave me a troubleshooter that involved resetting the bluray player and deactivating netflix and I have already reset my router several times.  I removed the security on my router, I fiddled with the settings advised in your help.  I still have the same issue.  Wired is not really an option as that would defeat the purpose of having a wireless router and again my signal strength is 100%.  

I've read on this forum and others that sony routes netflix through your servers, is that true?  

Please advise before I box this thing up and return it.

Thanks.

Add on.......I called my isp, had them look for any issues with my connection.  They state I have a solid 8.0 connection with no losses, no fluctuation in speed at all.  They monitored it for over 2 hours.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ColbyP

Re: Netflix streaming issue with bdp s390

[ Edited ]

Hi Bonita,

A minimum Internet connection speed of 2.5 Mbps or higher is required for streaming standard-definition (SD) videos and 10 Mbps or higher is required for high-definition (HD) videos.

Did you reset the Player by selecting the Resetting option from the Settings menu of the Player?

Update the Firmware from the below link.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS390&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/down...

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
theblonde

Hi Colby, 

I had a solid 8.0 connection.   Since I posted, I moved my speed up to a solid 20.0 connection.   Also I have now connected the player directly to my network, it is no longer wireless.  I phoned sony support, after I posted here since there wasn't a response, (the weekend) and the tech I talked to advised me to change my dns settings.  I did that and I still had the same problem and by the way the primary dns setting your tech told me to change it to, is what I now know was already auto configured for by my isp.   In regards to the secondary dns that your tech advised, I changed that too, but no joy, so I went back to auto.  I also ran a neat little program writen by google techs, Link here http://code.google.com/p/namebench/ that tells you what your optimal dns settings are and my auto setup is optimal according to the test.    

Yes.......I reset everything on the player.  

The player is updated to the latest firmware.

What's next?

PS....Other than this issue, I'm happy with it.   However, if I can't get this netflix streaming issue resolved, I will box it up and return it and not buy another sony product.  Believe me........I have bought plenty over the years.  

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
theblonde

I wrote this post days ago and no response.  

Clearly this method of support is severly lacking.  

I will phone sony one more time and if the issue isn't resolved, I will return the item and not buy another sony product.  

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
derock22

We are going through the same exact problem with netflix you are and have done virtually the same exact troubleshooting as you, with no luck. Hopefully an extra complaint will help Sony get the issue resolved. The product was purchased soley for streaming netflix so at the moment it is useless.

BDP - S390

FIRMWARE 0422

Signal Stregnth is 100%

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
anotaro

I am having the exact same problem with this model. I have two other older sony wifi blu-ray players that are on the same network which have absolutely no problem streaming HD video on Netflix. I also stream HD video from amazon to the new device (s390) with no issues whatsoever. It is only HD video on Netflix on the s390 that has the problem. My signal strength is over 95% at all times and my speed is consisitently well over 10mbps. 

The only thing that is different on the new device is a new redesigned netflix interface. Even the menus seem slow to load compared to what appears on my older sony devices. There seems to be a problem with this new version of the Netlifx app on the new sony devices but they will not admit as much. I have tried all the troubleshooting steps i have read about on these forums with no luck at all. I am nearly certain that whatever is wrong can only be fixed with a firmware update to the device. Preferably one that would just restore the old ugly netflix app that came on the older models which actually works. ugh, this is ridiculously frustrating and i will probably just return this unit rather than wait for the update. I only bought this because i have had good luck with previous models but it looks like sony went and fixed something that wasn't broken. annoying.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ghegenbart

I am having the same issue, on both of my players. I initially bought a player in January for my living room where I have a Roku, so didn't try Netflix. I was happy with the player, so bought a second unit for my bedroom. At first I thought the issue was my wireless, but I ran an Ethernet cable into the room and the problem persisted. The only reason I bought the second player was because it had Netflix and wanted the streaming in my bedroom. I moved the Roku to the bedroom and it worked fine, just like the living room.

I tried Amazon on the unit in my living room, which uses Wi-Fi, and it works fine. I started a chat with Sony Support and they directed me to http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C1020191&fes=true&m... which was not helpful. My Internet connection is fine.

The next step was to factory reset the blu-ray player. I was skeptical, but that seems to have done the trick. After resetting it, I did not do the "Easy Setup", I just went through network setup and logged into Netflix. I've been watching for about 15 minutes with no issues. I'm going to watch longer to see if the issue pops up again. 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
anotaro

I tried restoring factory default settings after reading the last post on the thread. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem for me at all. 

I even put my older Sony Wi-fi Blu-Ray device (BDP-S580) in the same location where the new one is having issues and it works without any issues. The problem still seems limited specifically to streaming HD content from Netflix on the S390. Amazon, Hulu and all other streaming works fine. 

Would be nice if the moderator or someone from Sony even acknowledged the issue.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ghegenbart

Factory resetting didn't help me either. After a few minutes the issue started again. I starteda chat with another support person and they told me to set the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.8.4. I tried that and it didn't work. 

To be clear, I have two of these blu-ray players:

• One is on wi-fi, about two feet from my wireless router. It has the problem. 
  • The other has a wired Ethernet connection. It also has the issue. 

The problem only happens with Netflix, and only on these blu-ray players. Netflix on my Roku connected to the exact same Ethernet cable works flawlessly. Amazon and YouTube on the BDP-S390 work fine, as does Pandora. It looks like an issue with the Netflix app on this particular blu-ray player.

And yes, it would be nice of someone from Sony chimed in. I'm going to cross post in AVS Forums to see if anyone there can offer help. 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
S390CT

I'm not adding a resolution but am adding to the frustrations of S390 users here. I'm past my 30-day return policy so I'll continue to work with Sony and/or Netflix. As of this morning, I just sent an email to Sony Support and will see what they come back with. To-date, I've done the following with no changes -

1.  Upgraded my internet service (download speeds, on avg., 30-35 mbps), modem, and router.

2.  Unplugged S390, router, and modem for more than the recommended time and plugged them back in reverse order.

3.  Validated that the S390 has the latest software version.

4.  Last evening, per a suggestion from Sony Support, I did a factory reset with no change in the result.

The thing is, this exact same player worked fine up until the last month or so. And we are able to stream HD movies off Youtube without a single instance of buffering. Pretty frustrating, to say the least!

Please use plain text.