Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Occasional Contributor
Razor_sharp

Picture faster than sound

I recently purchased the bdv-e280 home theater system, and the picture is faster than the audio. I have tried connecting it through hdmi, Optical, hdmi directly to the tv and even separate tvs and devices but I still have the same issue no matter what I try.

The support center at Sony ran through the different options and said it must be a fault with the amp, so I returned the whole system only for the next unit to do the same thing. Is this a major fault with this model? Or is there some magical fix?
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
USER-911508

Re: Picture faster than sound

Hi,
I've seen a lot of people reporting A/V sync issues with a variety of models in this forum but they never seem to report back with a solution. That defeats the "forum" format.
What I think may be going on is more then one audio decoder at work. That would be both the TV and the receiver decoding the audio stream.
You don't say if you are having the issue with one device or all and you don't elaborate on your hookup so....
Try using only HDMI cables. Connect all devices outputs directly to the receiver inputs. Turn off internal TV speakers and if the TV has ARC turn it off.
Most people indicate that the Blu-ray player is fine but the CableBox audio is off. What do you hear?
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Razor_sharp

To simplify things, I am trying to connect an Xbox 360 to the amp. I have tried running hdmi directly to my tv as well as the amp. Along with this, I've run optical out from the xbox to the amp. If I run hdmi directly to the tv, the tv sound is in sync and there is a distinct echo when I plug in the optical to the amp and the sound runs through the speakers. If I plug the hdmi into the input of the amp, then output it to the tv, the sound is delayed through both the tv and the amp speakers.

If I try exactly the same with my cable box or another TV, I still get the same problem. If I put a blu ray or DVD directly into the amp there is no issue.

It seems strange that it isn't a known issue with this model at least, as I've tried a replacement amp and a number of devices / methods of setting it up. I don't believe this issue is with the setup (perhaps it would be better in another forum), given I've run through every possible combination of the support team. In saying that, any ideas outside the square or similar known issues would be appreciated.

I will certainly post a solution if it is found, as I've searched hard but to no avail so far.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-919569

I had the same problem, untill I switched to directv. Now video sync. is perfect. I think that the Comcast DVRs are the problem. My audio got more out of sync the longer I stayed on the same channel.
Please use plain text.
USER-914725

Also have the Infinity issue. Does anyone know if Dish Network works correctly with Sony Blu Ray Systems?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-934310

I have the same problem and there are other posts in this forum indicating that others are having this problem as well. I purchased the bdv-e280 on Nov. 28 and yet to have been able to enjoy it. Synch issue happened on day one. Day two I spent 3 hours on the phone with tech people to come to the conclusion that it was something in the receiver (fyi the final test was to go in to the audio settings and set the audio output to hdmi only. This basically lets the a/v stream pass through the receiver and straight to the tv. No sync issues when set this way, but no surround sound either). The tech guy tells me to send it to TX for repair which I did. I couldn't send just the receiver I had to send the entire system. So I packaged it back up in the original box and sent it to them. 8 days later I get a call from a tech in TX and he says the unit is fine. I explain the problem and he says they will continue to test it. 2 days later I get the email that they are shipping it back to me. 5 days later I get it back and besides having the same problem, they have managed to scratch the hell out of the top reciever, so now it looks like it is 3 years old and they sent it back in a plain box, not the original box! I was originally going to send the unit back to the place I bought it and go buy another unit from another manufacture, but I have multiple Sony electronics and thought they would fix it (especially since there were already other posts on this forum with the same problem). Now I can't send it back for a refund because Sony was too lazy to keep the original box and reuse it! I have now spent 4 more hours of my time on the phone trying to get resolution on this with no response as of yet. It doesn't make sense that this is a problem with Comcast receivers only (which is what I have) since when you do the "pass through" test the a/v synch correctly. It is only when the receiver tries to manipulate it. I have the same problem when I play a movie from my PS3 through the receiver (via hdmi) to the TV. If I let the a/v pass through the receiver to the TV from the PS3 it is fine. If I play a movie from the receiver to the TV there is no sync problem. The problem is in the Sony receiver! I have lost all my belief in Sony products and them standing behind their products. You won't see me recommending Sony to people in the future....
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
Razor_sharp

I finally received a call from the Sony tech support team in NZ, and I was told that after testing this model of receiver there are A/V sync issues when connecting to non-Sony products. So basically, unless everything you own is Sony (with the Audio Return Channel feature)' this receiver is useless. Guy at Sony's end was good overall, and told me he has made recommendations to get the receiver changed. Hopefully this happens, but in such a big company would be unlikely.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-907872

I have the very same issue with my BDV-E580 feeding my LG 42" TV. The cable feed is a Verizon FIOS box. It is extremely frustrating.

The sync is fine with DVDs and internet sources (Netflix, Amazon, etc.). However, when network TV is routed through the BDV-E580 the sync problem is present. And what really bugs me is that the delay varies from channel to channel and regularly changes during a specific channel's broadcast. So if I correct the delay at the beginning of the show it will often change after a few minutes. I can't stand this!

I have spent over an hour on the phone with SONY techs and it is now obvious there is little they can do. One rep claimed they rarely hear about sysnc issues. I knew that was a lie and asked for another rep.

For whatever reason the ARC feature on these units is not functioning properly. Hopefully this can be corrected by a firmware update and is not a hardware issue, because if that is the case we are all screwed.

-Joe
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-966669

I'm having a sync issue with an HD cable box connected to the BDVE780W.
Please use plain text.