Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

USER-980085

Re: Netflix Streaming Issues

I am also experiencing the same streaming problem w/Netflix. Just got a Roku 2 and watched Netflix without any re-buffering, and then switched to the S580, and had to wait for it catching up every 2 minutes. So, it's not the problem w/people's Internet. It's definitely Sony!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-929319

I just bought a new Sony bluray home theater, the Netflix picture looks wonderful, but it's about impossible to watch most of the time. Netflix will test at 12Mbps to 16Mbps. But once it starts buffeting the movie it goes to 4 to 6 or less. I assume this is because of Sonys servers. All other apps stream fine. I can be playing an MMO, watching Netflix on a computer and on my 360 at the same time with no problem, but with the Sony bluray player I have trouble, even when making sure it's the only thing using the Internet in he house.

Linksys Gigabit router running Casing
Using a wired connection
Made player a DMZ, helped slightly, buffering doesn't happen as often.
Sometime my connection in the Netflix app drops to -- and I get kicked out. I work computer retail and will no longer recommend or sell Sony TVs or blurays and will make sure all other stores know of this problem.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-929319

Well, the issue has been slightly better lately. I still think they should atleast allocate a small file to an external drive when you plug one in for buffering purposes atleast. It may not be an ideal fix, but it would be better than nothing.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-978702

No question this is a Sony issue I get rebuffering at Least two or three times a movie,which never happen with my Xbox or roku. I'm normally pulling a signal with any wireless device that at least 15mpbs and goes as high as the low 20's.

My Sony blu-player bdp-bx18 rarely has a signal stronger than 7 or 8 Mbps with it dipping down into the 2 range.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention this is all with the Sony product being hardwire unlike my Xbox or Roku. Needless to say I'm giving it another week,and then it's going back to Costco.

I bought this it lighten the load on my Xbox so it wouldn't die an early death,but right now it's not going as planned

Btw, Cnet has a full article about this issue with Sony. Wished I would have found it sooner.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-978702

I just bought a new Sony bluray home theater, the Netflix picture looks wonderful, but it's about impossible to watch most of the time. Netflix will test at 12Mbps to 16Mbps. But once it starts buffeting the movie it goes to 4 to 6 or less. I assume this is because of Sonys servers. All other apps stream fine. I can be playing an MMO, watching Netflix on a computer and on my 360 at the same time with no problem, but with the Sony bluray player I have trouble, even when making sure it's the only thing using the Internet in he house.

Linksys Gigabit router running Casing
Using a wired connection
Made player a DMZ, helped slightly, buffering doesn't happen as often.
Sometime my connection in the Netflix app drops to -- and I get kicked out. I work computer retail and will no longer recommend or sell Sony TVs or blurays and will make sure all other stores know of this problem.

This is my issue as well, the test is as high as 20 sometimes and then it loads and goes down to 2 or 3
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
otter1950

I bought a Sony SMP-N200 media player 2 weeks ago and I'm having the same problem with watching movies on Netflix. I have a 22 mg internet connection with Cox cable that is as solid as a rock and I have no packet loss and my speed tests always come back with no less than 14 to 15 mg and a lot of times go up to 25 or 26 mgs. I am using a Netgear N300 single band router 2.4gig only since the N200 only works on that band. My N200 is also the olny gear I have that uses wireless connection. Not only do I have the buffering problem, but I also can't get 5.1 dolby digital sound. There is nothing wrong with my equipment as everything works fine except the N200. I have contacted Netflix, Netgear and Sony customer service by phone and they have all said there was nothing wrong with my setup which I already knew. I dropped my HD programming from Cox because of the cost for their tv service, but while I had it, everything I watched in HD came in HD and digital surround when it was originally broadcast in surround. As others have stated, Sony, why will you not answer these posts with something besides the pre-typed responce. There is a problem with your wireless equipment somewhere and you need to fix it. I am about to the point of returning my N200 for another brand. I also do not understand why the N200 does not support Adobe Flash. You give us access to the net on the N200, I can go to my yahoo homepage and do a search for anything on the web, but if it has a video with it that uses flash which almost all do now, I can't watch it. This is just dumb. Don't tell me it's adobe, because I know that isn't the case as other media players have flash in them. So Sony, what about it? Are you going to fix these problems or are you just going to let your customers leave you and spend our money with someone else????
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-968292

Sony Blu Ray BDP-S780 Yes, most of the Foreign movies have subtitles on Netflix but few new added Foreign movies are missing the subtitles but while watching on my Mac I see the subtitles, WTF GIVES?

When is Sony ever going to update Netflix to the new UI or stream it 1080p and 5.1 surround with captions available. it really pisses me off.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
dentav

I put up with horrible streaming from Sony Blu ray for 3 years, and any fixes from Sony or Netflix, never worked.

So I went out and bought a Roku3 and the streaming is just wonderful.  I was able to change my settings to the highest quality and even HD and no reloading stalls, etc/  This is a sony/netflix system issue that never should of been allowed to happen.  If you have a big pipeline of 30 you might be fine, but us on even the fastest dsl of 6-8 get nowhere.  This is becasue the sony system takes my speed and reduces it from by  90 to 75 %.

When the Sony first comes up with Netflix my player shows the speed and then as soon as the feed starts it goes into freefall and we get .7  or .5 and stall, stall, stall!

Netflix should never have approved the sony bluray system for streaming.

So the real solution is to buy anohter device, like Roku, which runs directly from netflix to you, and is not hung up in Sony's overworked, low capacity network.

Dennis

Please use plain text.
Dub Tuning Up
Tuning Up
Dub

Same problem here. Definitely the bluray player. The sony is wired directly to the modem, and it buffers like crazy, especially at night. But when I watch netflix on my iPad or laptop WIRELESSLY, I have zero buffering issues. Plus I have an upgraded internet account. Sony, it has obviously been an ongoing issue for a number of your customers. Please, do you have a real solution?
Please use plain text.
BrianP

Re: Re: Netflix Streaming Issues

Hi Dub!

Follow this link for information if Video freezes or rebuffering appears when trying to use Netflix video streaming. You also click this link for troubleshooting steps if internet streaming videos buffer.

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. What is the model number of your player? Click this link to get additional information on how to find your mode number. Also, is this happening on all the Netflix videos? IS it also happening with other internet applications (e.g. Youtube and Crackle)? 
Please use plain text.