Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Groovin'
raybbr
Accepted Solution

Sony BDP-S3100 Connection issues

This is my second unit.  I am having the same problem with this one and the previous one.  I used a disc to uprgrade the firmware.  the update says "Already updated" so I know I have the newest firmware.

All the connection settings work.  I can brows the internet using the web browser.

This may sound familiar.  It's from this thread:  http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/Unable-to-connect-to-a-server/m-p/115267/h...

When I press the "Netflix" button on the remote it goes to "Internet Content Connection Status"   "Connecting to Internet Video Service...(1/3)"  It gives me the option to cancel.  After 5 minutes it says "Connection status can not be confirmed.  The process timed out because the server could not be accessed.  The network might not be set up correctly.  Do you want to set the internet settings?"  I do, it says wired setup and has me auto-connect to everything and I am right back to where I started.  I reiterate... I CAN GO ON THE INTERNET THROUGH THE BLURAY PLAYER'S OWN INTERNET BROWSER SO I AM CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

The information there does not help. 

There is very little explanation as to why the unit keeps looking at my PC as the server.  My PC doesn't have Sony's or Netflix's programs to set up on it in order for the BluRay player to set up the apps. 

Is the player using the PC as a server and going through it to the internet?  Why would it? 

This very frustrating.  Sony should have some concrete answers as to why this happens.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
jshlouie

Re: Sony BDP-S3100 Connection issues

I have the same problem but my status got to stage 3 of the content status. called support and they determined that the internet speed is not fast enough. apparently there is a 2.5Mbps minimum to run netflix
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
raybbr

I HAVE a 2.5mb connection.  I've tested it several times.  It's what I pay for.

The WII box that was in the exact same spot before had no trouble streaming Netflix.

Does anyone from Sony monitor this board?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ColbyP

[ Edited ]

Hi raybbr & jshlouie,

Have you registered the Player in Sony Essential site before using the Netflix service?

Are you able to access other preinstalled internet application like you Tube, Pandora, Amazon etc?

If you have not yet registered the Player in Sony Essential site, then follow the steps given in below link:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31945/c/65%2C66/kw/31945

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
raybbr

There is no menu that provides the registration code on my BD.  There is NOTHING about registering this product in the manua prior to using the functiions. 

It is connected to the internet.  It cannot find the Sony server.  It lists my main PC as the server.  How, why is that possible?  I did not even set it up or acknowledge this.

I don't understand why this needs to be so difficult.  I understand Sony wants us to go through their website to sell us things but I can't even establish that. 

There must be something about the settings that is not addressed in the manual.  I cannot, for example, manually set the IP address, DNS servers, etc.  yet there are multiple sources that say I should be able to.

I'm about to take this product back.  OEM's wanting consumers to go through their sites for everything (so they can sell us stuff) is understandable.  They still have to provide a way to do it.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
Mredthewinner

My 3100 is at it again. Powered up for a msg that update available, but no matter what, including resetting and re-initializing etc., I have wireless connect but no internet. Same router is providing wireless internet to my other roomates, so it's the bluray again!!
Please use plain text.
Garage Band
Mredthewinner

Help?!!
Please use plain text.
BrianP

Please make sure that the software of the BD player is updated. Click this link to check the latest firmware version of the player.

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. When you try to connect to the internet did you get an error message? If yes, please provide the exact error.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
newman71

I also have this unit and I keep on getting the same problem as everyone else.

Does not matter is I am trying to connect to Netflix, Amazon or any other online service.

This is a horrible unit and not worth the money I paid for it
Please use plain text.
BrianP

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much for letting us know about this, newman 71! 

Please follow the links found on my previous message for troubleshooting. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.