Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Groovin'
darkreign11

Re: Sony BDP-S3100 Connection issues

[ Edited ]

I wanted to write and say some things. As it seems while the support is trying to be helpful, they really are not reading well. I just bought this player. It can connect to the internet and most services. I registered the device, it even states itself as registered. The internet connection shows it as also connected. And can watch the already provided things without fail. The server list is blank and even updating the server list comes back with it unable to get a list. So while things work on it, sonys own update service does not. The provided support is you must make a update disc for a 100 mb image? Why did sony do a bonehead move and not allow it to update through the usb? My old player could update through usb. And it seems a waste to just put something on a disc to get it to work. And this may even mean even once this is done. I'll always have to download and burn discs for it to update. Simply because sony doesnt take a more active role to make sure its update service functions with its player. I just bought this .. connected and registered. And this is how it functions right out of the box!

**EDIT**

Wanted to now note that I also tried to set it back to factory default. The factory default still had the server list unpopulated. And now clicking 'update server list' populates the list with my desktop computer? My desktop is not the connection server. I'm starting to wonder if a programmer got a bit lazy when doing this part.

And the funny part is. Because of a flaw on Sony's part the customer service stated theyd send me a disc for $7. Shouldn't it be free? Given its a issue on Sony's side to providing a function that does not work as intended. Then again I just bought this yesterday. Think I'll just return it, because this I feel will be a continued pain. Having to make update discs every time theres an update. Instead of a usb update function, or it working properly.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Thank you so much for letting us know about this, darkreign11!

If the player is connected to the internet, you can update the software of the player through the Network. Follow the steps below:

1. Press Home button on the Sony remote.
2. Press left arrow and select Setup.
3. Press the down arrow and highlight Network Update. 
4. Press the center button to select it. 
5. Select [OK] to update the player’s software via the network. 

Also, we provide free update for BD players that are still In-Warranty. If your Blu-ray Disc player is out of warranty, that's the only time that there will be a shipping and handling fee of $6.50. 

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. What do you mean when you say server list? Are you trying to view videos and photos and listen to music from the media player of your computer through of DLNA? 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
raybbr

Sorry, I should have posted before.  I could never get this to work.  Bought a S*****G and it works fine.  Had to take the Sony back.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
darkreign11

[ Edited ]

Like I said while helpful you fail to read. Though thank you for the reply. The player was bought just a few days ago, which is now returned for one that works as it should. The player was registered and connected to the internet. Could watch Netflix and most services. some that still needed the update I could not, but everything worked as it should. the update network option failed to work period! And trying to update the server list while it was blank either !)left it blank or 2)populated the list with home my home computer. Everything worked but the update feature of the player. Sony really should make sure all its options work. and now seeing the above seems while only 2 users have returned this product. I'm sure many others have as well. And Sony should look into fixing its update capability so it stops losing buyers for this particular model.

@BrianP Please re-read my first post. And note that I was specifically talking about network updating not working. When every other option, registration, and the internet DID work. UPDATE never did.

And I am sorry but I will not be subjected to a system that gets everything right, but its own ability to update. It has been returned. And the one I have now updates without problem as it should be. Even my older BluRay updated without issue .. I would have expected better from Sony. Most players can also update through the USB. The Sony BluRay requires you to take a 100+ mb set of files and BURN to a CD. Who was the genius over at Sony that decided to not include USB updating of its device? Last player supported USB updating as does current one. Sony really should not force people to burn cd's for things that fit on flash drives.

Most players I know follow this method:

Network Update, CD Update, USB Update

Sony 3100 follows this method:

Network Update, CD Update

Suggestions for the 3100 in a future update:

* USB Update

* Ability to let users enter in the url for the Network Update

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion, darkreign11! We are more than happy to forward your feedback onto the proper department. We place a very high value on feedback from our customers because it allows us to continue to improve. Thanks again and have a wonderful day.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
halfjoey

[ Edited ]

My Sony BDP-S3100 has been acting funny since the M14.R.0163 update and Wifi doesn't work anymore.

I'm pretty sure my player was working fine right after the update but on Thursday night my player wouldn't respond to remote or player buttons. I unplugged it and plugged it back it, the power light came on but I wasn't getting a video signal. The player shut itself off. After I turned it back on I started Amazon steaming and received a message that my internet connection was down.

I checked the status of the connection, it showed my SSID, but failed to connect. I attempted to go through the set-up again and my player froze in step 1 at "Please wait". This happened a few times and each time I had to unplug the power cord to turn off the player. I decided to give it a rest for the night.

This morning the player finds my Wifi SSID, gets through the steps but shows my signal only being 1 bar (it was 4 bars before) and it won't connect or accept my password (I'm confident I'm entering my password correctly) Every other wifi device in my house is working perfectly.

I tried re-installing the firmware again via CD-R and the player tells me my firmware is already updated. Now I'm at a dead end.

Is there a way to roll back to the previous firmware? or Even rollback to factory firmware and start over?

Its strange that my player acts differently on different days. It just decides to not freeze anymore or decides to find my SSID. Is this a hardware failing issue?

I've been having little issues here and there since getting the playing in April. But this latest update has been the worst yet. Every time I turn on the player I just anticipate the next issue I have to deal with.

Any suggetions?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Hi halfjoey!

Unfortunately, there is no way to revert the software of the player to the previous one. 

You may follow this link for troubleshooting steps if you are Unable to get the Blu-ray Disc player to communicate with the internet.

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. Are you getting any error message when you try to connect the player to the internet? If yes, please provide the exact error. 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
halfjoey

Thanks for replying.

I was able to have it connect somewhat but then the connection drops out.

I then did the trouble shooting steps and I'm having the same issues.

At this point everything behaves like it did when it was working expect now when I test the connection I see a signal strengh of 25% then it slowly drops to 5%. I can connect to Amazon streaming service but when I attempt to play anything it tells me there is a connection issue. I go back to the connection test and it then fails to connect to anything. I use to get 75-85% signal strength before the update.

Any more suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Hi halfjoey!

Please click this link to get additional information why you get a slow connection speed or have difficulties playing certain Internet videos.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
kfoster

I have the same problem - "internet content connection status" error message. I followed the link suggested, but it is for wireless Blu-Ray. Mine is wired only. I am updated - just checked again, got an "already updated" message. Please help.

Please use plain text.