Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Garage Band
aswilson1998

Sony - FIX YOUR SERVERS!

Dear Sony Server and Enterprise Administrators,

In case you haven't noticed, there is a large and growing crowd of frustrated customers who are having serious doubts about their net-enabled devices.  Your "shutdown" comes on the heels of an equally embarrassing and damaging US Government shutdown.  WIll it take you three weeks to restore the services that we consumers paid for?    

Conspiracy theories aside, please juts have someone walk over to the data center, restore your servers to "factory setting" and then apply the previously working config file.  And next time don't let a 17year old agent from Geek Squad work on your servers!  Use professionals!!! 

Thank you.

Sincerely

A (former?) S590 user...  

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Re: Sony - FIX YOUR SERVERS!

I do apologize, aswilson1998!

If you are still having the issue, please follow the troubleshooting steps Network Error or Unable to access the network to view or listen to Internet content.

You may also try the steps provided on this thread.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
aswilson1998

BrianP,

I'm glad to see the unplanned outage has been resolved.  I would love to know the internal story some day.... my compnay has some excellent tools for managing huge corporate enterprises and I would love to meet with your CIO and Enterprise teams to help prevent a future outage.... Afterall, I have to wonder about the service level agreements in place with Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc and what this outage must cost in terms of revenue.

As I mentioned in another post, a typical IT service level agreement mandates system availability >99.98% of the time throgh mutliple failover and redundancies built in the the network.  So far in 2013, Sony is on track to deliver no better than 95.91% system availability.  This doesn't include all the minor 20minute to 4hr outages that can occur with regualrly scheduled maintainance periods. 

Why does Sony even have to manage the video connection at all?  You could just as easily obtain network connection data from the device itself through passive caching whilst the user surfs directly to the content providers.  ***Note, some may not appreciate this potential violation of privacy***, but it is no different than what the Sony Video Service middle-ware currently provides.  

I have to agree with many other posters here in these forums-- Sony should stop serving up middle-ware services and simply let us connect directly to the providers.  You can still keep tabs on us and make sure you get you proceeds from the various providers.

v/r

Frustrated Consumer and Tech leader 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Hi aswilson1998!

We appreciate your feedback and will forward this to the proper department for review. You, the customer, are number one and we definitely appreciate the time you took to inform us of what happened and the frustration this has caused you. We always try to provide world class service to our customers and we take these types of situations very seriously. Have a wonderful day!

Please use plain text.