Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 51 of 57 (2,635 Views)

Re: Terrible "popping" static sound off/on when watching Netflix on BDP-s5100.

Just keep in mind that an AVR that supports DD+ may or may not be able to handle DD+ from Netflix.  Personally, I couldn't justify replacing my Pioneer AVR that was effected by this so I just play back that content using one of the matrixed surround sound formats like Dolby Prologic II or DTS Neo:6 and my Onkyo TX-SR505 has no issues with DD+ from Netflix.  Anyway, good luck.

Enthusiast
Message 52 of 57 (2,537 Views)

My BDP-S3500 also makes popping noises only while playing Netflix 5.1 audio. This unit is already capable of re-encoding DTS to regular DD, if only it could do the same with DD+ content (transform it to regular DD) thru a firmware update I would be eternally thankfull to Sony.

As others mentioned, the PS3 has this function and works flawless with current 5.1 audio netflix streams by letting you select wether or not to use Dolby Digital Plus.

Enthusiast
Message 53 of 57 (2,530 Views)

"this unit is already capable of re-encoding DTS to regular DD"  

I just tried this out and I can't get it to convert DTS into Dolby Digital. User manual states:

[Dolby D Compatible Output] [On]: Converts DTS audio source to Dolby Digital audio by using EDID (Extended Display Identification Data). [Off]: Turns off the function.

I tried setting it On and my receiver still shows the DTS light instead of Dolby Digital.

This is using the coaxial audio output from the player.

I also have an hdmi switch with toslink output that can extract DD and DTS 5.1 signals from HDMI, but I still can't convert DTS into DD this way.

Does this have to do with the EDID part of the equation (as stated in the manual)?

My hdmi box reports that it is able to accept DTS 5.1 so the BDP-S3500 won't convert the signal?

Is this how Sony intended this function to work or should it just convert the signal even via the coaxial audio out?

PS: these are the screen messages I get when playing around with this setting

Dolby D Compatible Output --> ON 

If the setting is changed, DTS audio is converted to Dolby Digital audio and output.

This function is also disabled when PCM is selected instead of AUTO under Digital Audio Output:

This setting can't be changed when the HDMI audio output settiing is PCM

Rookie
Message 54 of 57 (1,198 Views)

Sony is absolutely no help, hours on the phone being passed around like a football.

Rookie
Message 55 of 57 (1,198 Views)

sony was no help at all, hours on the phone being passed around like a football.

Message 56 of 57 (1,043 Views)

Hi Tell,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We regret to hear what happened with the player and we apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused. Kindly send me a private message (PM) with your Event ID or Reference number so we could check on the file and let's see how we can be of assistance.

Regards,

~Erin

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 57 of 57 (82 Views)

My TV is having the same problem but it is a Sony Smart TV. The chirping noise is coming through only on Netflix, but it isn't on a BluRay, it's directly on the TV

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook