Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (1,784 Views)

UBP-X800 DLNA subtitles are GIGANTIC

The X800 renders HUGE subtitles when I play video files via DLNA from my NAS.  The subs are srt text in mkv files.

The subtitle font is at least double the size compared to any other hardware or software player.  The huge font overwhelms the picture, forcing your eyes to cover too much distance and distracting from the movie.  It looks cheap and amateurish on screen.

The subtitle font size is "normal" when played via my older Sony BDP-S790.  The size is normal when played via another device using Plex.  The size is normal when played from my computer using VLC player.

ONLY the X800 renders HUGE fonts.  As I understand it, the X800 controls the DLNA subtitle font size, and there is no way for the user to make adjutments.

Why would Sony do this?  Will Sony consider correcting this problem?

Why is there no advance detailed information or examples of this function in marketing materials?  Why is it necessary to buy the player in order to find out how well DLNA functions work?  This will result in my returning the X800.

Message 2 of 7 (1,688 Views)

Re: UBP-X800 DLNA subtitles are GIGANTIC

Hi Phil_C,

Welcome to Sony Community!

We are sorry to hear this issue with your unit. This issue is related to the firmware update.Is the firmware is M36.R.0173? If not, please check the link here and follow the guidelines: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41705. 

I hope this helps!

Regards,
-Jay

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 7 (1,686 Views)

Thanks for your reply.  However, I already returned the X800, so I do not know which FW version it had.

Can you confirm that the new FW specifically addresses the DLNA network subtitle size issue?  (To be clear, this has nothing to do with subtitles from disc.)

I would hate to re-purchase the X800 and have the same problem.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7 (1,683 Views)

Also -- this FW is from April.  I had my X800 in late May and updated it at that time.

So this FW is cannot be a solution to my stated problem.

How about it Sony?  Will someone look into the subtitle size issue?

Rookie
Message 5 of 7 (1,580 Views)

Is somebody ever gonna answer this? I am experiencing the same problem.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 7 (1,396 Views)

kuntakinte wrote:

Is somebody ever gonna answer this? I am experiencing the same problem.

I see there is a new FW release dated 8/9/2017, but the list of improvements does not mention DLNA functions or subtitles.

Maybe someone here that still has an X800 can see if subtitle size has been made "normal".  (I returned my unit.)

I really doubt there will be a fix, though.  I've been through similar issues with Sony before -- with the STR-DN1070 AVR.  DLNA audio folder navigation had a terrible glitch that rendered normal usage impossible in any practical sense.  I talked to "the highest level of support", and was eventually told "that's the way our unit works, too, so it must be the way it is supposed to work."  Duh!  There was NO WAY to get a message to a Sony engineer or anyone higher up the chain who could look at the DLNA functions.  So they basically told me too bad, you're out of luck.  What a way to run a business.

I once had a houseful of Sony electronics.  The S790 is now the only Sony product I have.  It will be the last Sony anything ever, if the X800 DLNA issue is not resolved.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 7 (972 Views)

Nothing, Sony?  No interest at all on your part?

Is there no way to reach someone of consequence at Sony?  No one in this forum or with phone support can reach out to an engineer or the proper department to address the subtitle size problem?

I've been told by the "highest level" phone support that no one can communicate with anyone above that department.  If this is true, it is certainly ridiculous.  How will Sony engineers/designers know that a problem exists?

A little customer service on this issue would be nice.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook