Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (3,716 Views)

UBPX800 Regular Freezing

I have owned the player for one week.  Every day I use it there will inevitably be a random freeze at some stage during my viewing- i.e. the screen image will freeze and the player will become unresponsive.

The only remedy is to remove from the mains power and restart.

The freezes are random - they are not due to faulty discs as in all cases the scene will play correctly after the restart.

It also happens when streaming Netflix.

I have updated the firmware and performed a factory reset.

I note from other bords this is not an isolated incident.  Sony recommends I have the unit replaced.  However, I am worried this is actually a latent defect and replacement may not help.  Any comments appreciated.  Thanks!

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 7 (3,323 Views)

Re: UBPX800 Regular Freezing

[ Edited ]

You are correct. This is not an isolated incident, and replacing the player with the same model will not fix the problem until Sony will actually admit this is a widespread issue and release a firmware update to fix the issue. I am on my third UBP-X800, and all have exhibited the same issue with the most current firmware.

Rookie
Message 3 of 7 (2,297 Views)

This is a great 4K player for the price. But the freezing issue frustrates me. Has Sony fixed the problem yet? It is December 2017 already and I just got this late November. I did the firmware update and every single one of the discs (brand new 4K, bluray, and regular DVD) have randomly froze once during the movie with no response after. It turns off by itself after awhile. This is frustrating and I want to return it. But you say exchanging it won't fix the problem? So what do I do? Wait for a new firmware?
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7 (2,290 Views)

Having used the machine for six months or so, I can report the incidences of freezing have declined to zero over the time.  I cannot attribute this to F/W updates or changes to settings, so have no idea why it has improved.

I reamain frustrated, however, with the lack of response to requests to Sony for the Amazon Prime App here in Canada.  It is available in the US, it is available on my CDN Sony 4k TV, so whats the problem Sony?

Rookie
Message 5 of 7 (2,007 Views)

What seems to work that I noticed on this sony 4k player is turning off 24p in your settings which really ******. I played movies for a good time having it turned off and the player never freezes. When I turn it back on I get the same problems of freezing then it turning of at times again.
Rookie
Message 6 of 7 (1,933 Views)

What does the 24p control?
Rookie
Message 7 of 7 (1,898 Views)

It's the frames per second a movie refreshes. If you turn the 24p setting off on the Sony 4k player it will stop freezes and random shut offs. The movie at 60hz just runs smoother. 24hz has judder which is the original frames a movie is recorded at. I don't like judder myself, but some do. Hopefully one day the update this player again to fix this bug so that way it doesn't need to be turned off for those who want it on. I rather have it on since my Sony oled works perfect with it on and my motion set at a medium setting to eliminate judder.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook