Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Tuning Up
iamphilp
Accepted Solution

Unable to connect to a server

I have a Sony BDP-S3100.  I am directly connected to my router, not using wifi.  I updated the firmware, and I can connect to the internet using the built-in browser.  I can not get a server.  I went to internet options, connection server settings and update server list.  The machine does nothing.  It plays BluRay disks just fine, but I want to stream Netflix on this device and it is getting very frustrating. 

Please use plain text.
JRS

Re: Unable to connect to a server

[ Edited ]

Hello iamphilp,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues accessing netflix using our device, were you able to see any icons under "video" catergory (main menu) including Netflix? Also what happens if you press "netflix" button on your remote control?

Please follow steps below on how to link devices to netflix.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36609/c/65%2C66/kw/36609

If above steps did not resolve your issues, please contact our Sony tech support line @ 1-800-222-7669 for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,

JRS

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
iamphilp

Under "Video," "Network," and "Sony Entertainment Network," I get an icon saying "Internet Video Select To Refresh Internet Content."  I press it and it says "Checking the internet connection, please wait."  Then it comes back to the same "Internet Video Select to Refresh Internet Content." 

Under the "Network" tab, if I go up, not down, it says "Internet Browser" and I can get on the internet fine.  I know it is connected.

So, back to the original post, I go to "Setup" - "Network Settings" - "Connection Server Settings" I get a blank list of servers.  It says nothing under Server Name.  I hit Option to update server list.  It spends about 10 seconds saying "Searching For Server please wait" and then comes back to the same blank list.

When I press the "Netflix" button on the remote it goes to "Internet Content Connection Status"   "Connecting to Internet Video Service...(1/3)"  It gives me the option to cancel.  After 5 minutes it says "Connection status can not be confirmed.  The process timed out because the server could not be accessed.  The network might not be set up correctly.  Do you want to set the internet settings?"  I do, it says wired setup and has me auto-connect to everything and I am right back to where I started.  I reiterate... I CAN GO ON THE INTERNET THROUGH THE BLURAY PLAYER'S OWN INTERNET BROWSER SO I AM CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

Is there a problem with the Sony Network?  Is there a problem with my player?  I only have a couple more days to return this for full credit towards the Samsung that most likely works.

Please use plain text.
JRS

Hello iamphilp,

It appears that the issues you're having is your device is not able to refresh internet content, this is the process where your device download all internet content available for your BD player including Netflix. It is possible that your internet speed is not meeting the minimum requirement. You can either perform a speedtest and quality test on your internet connection or call our technical support for assistance @ 1-800-222-7669. Also, "Connection Server Settings" will not show anything unless you have a server setup and available within your network.

Thanks,

JRS

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
htowngreenbean

I think the speed issue is not valid, I have an older more expensive Sony player and have had no trouble using Amazon Prime & Netflix with 5 mg download.  I think the real issue is being over looked.  I will say the original Sony DVD player I have was a pain to set up as well because the steps to get things going were not clear, I had to wind up Googling it and finding the answer I needed from someone other than Sony.  I chatted with a Sony tech rep last night and she went over things I had already done, after we got to the speed test she said mine was not what was recommended and the help session was over.  I have a Smart TV that is able to use Amazon Prime & Netflix with no issue so I call BS on it is your ISP speed.  If I cannot get the one I purchased to work I will just seek out another brand like the company that makes my SmartTV since there are no ISP issues using streaming services.  I have a PS3 I have already had repaired once that broke again which I why I had to invest in a streaming DVD player anyway so maybe this should be my second sign to stay away from Sony products.  

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
css1

I have exact same issue with BDP-S3100 and completed same process after purchasing this unit. I will try calling tech support and check in here later.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
htowngreenbean

That is the exact model I have

Please use plain text.
BrianP

Hi everyone! 

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. What exactly is happening on the player? Are you getting any error message? If yes, please provide the exact error. Thanks! 

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
css1

Thanks for answering. If you read this post from the top it explains clearly the problem for our BDP-S3100. 

After connecting to the internet and wifi  OR even hard wiring to the router, the Sony player will confirm a connection to the internet and the router in "settings". Me and the other writer in this Post have connected to our home servers successfully and confirm an internet connection.

However, when you scroll through the Blueray player icons for "video", "web" or "sony store" downloads the problems begin. The Blueray program goes through three steps of verification 1/1. 2/2, and then 3/3. On 3/3 step for the connection verification (in any of the Icons), the player is unable to connect to the internet and provides an error message that it is unable to connect to internet.

After rebooting the router, internet and sony blueray this message persists in the Icon download attempts. Even after checking "settings" the Blueray confirms connection to the home router and the internet with "YES" responses to diagnostic checks of router and internet. 

So it confirms an internet connection in "settings - diagnostic" but cannot connect or download user content and vendor icons (like netflix or youtube) in the player "video", "web" or "sony store" icons. 

I cannot check the machine now or call tech support but i will be able to check later this afternoon. I am not in front of the machine b/c i have to travel to my 85 year old parents to do this install.

I can add as well, internet speeds are good on their Xfinity service in a peri-urban area (not rural). Everything else in the house works great.

Please use plain text.
BrianP

Hi css1!

You may follow the steps on this link if you are Unable to get the Blu-ray Disc® player or network media player to communicate with the internet.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.