Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Groovin'
edwardsms

Why is there static between LPCM files streamed from my media server on BDP-S390?

At the end (in between) of each LPCM (*.wav) file streamed from my Synology DS1511+ through the BDP-S390 there is a (loud) "blast" of static. This does not occur with MP3 files streamed by the same device from the same source. Also, other media players on the same network do not play static after the exact same LPCM files. 

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Re: Why is there static between LPCM files streamed from my media server on BDP-S390?

We need to isolate the issue and one way to do that is to try another media server. You can use your computer as a media server. You may use a file sharing application such as Windows Media Player, VAIO Media server software, Serviio DLNA Media server, Twonky suite, or EyeConnect UPnP AV Media Streaming Software provides the interface between your unit and computer.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
edwardsms

Re: Why is there static between LPCM files streamed from my media server on BDP-S390?

As you suggested, I used a laptop computer as a media server. I used Windows Media Player as a file sharing program. I was able to play multiple file types from this source, including LPCM (*.wav) and MP3 files.

The issue as previously described is unchanged. At the end of the LPCM file, there is a loud blast of static. There is no such static at the end of MP3 files.

Additionally, those same files, both LPCM and MP3, are free of the clip of static.

Please use plain text.
JRS

Hi edwardsms,

Have you reset your BD player to factory default settings? Does your player has the most current software installed? Please contact our technical support line @ 1-800-222-7669 for further troubleshooting.

Thanks,

JRS

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
edwardsms

[ Edited ]

Working with the highest levels of Sony support, we isolated each portion of the system. Sony support concluded that the software (http://www.dbpoweramp.com) used to rip the CDs was the source of the static at the end of the LPCM (WAV) files. Sony support was able to replicate this condition with files sent to them by myself, as well as files they generated from CDs ripped using the same software mentioned above.

This issue was posted at the dBpoweramp forum. Apparently, ID Tags + art are written as a "chunk" at the end of the wave file.  The Sony BDP-S390 player does not read the wave file as per Microsoft's specifications, and assumes that everything after the initial header is audio data. So, the player is translating and playing the metadata as static.

The solutions presented by that forum were either to 1) wait for Sony to update the software so that it reads wave files according to Microsoft's specifications, 2) remove the metadata from the entire wave library, or 3) purchase a player that is not "poorly written." 

Please use plain text.