There is a bit of a work around to use an earlier version of PMB using windows 8. I loaded PMB Version 5.2 onto my laptop running Windows 8, and the program installed ok until it got to the stage where PMB had to analyse the video files on my computer. The program just hung and did nothing.
After a bit of searching the net, I associated the program with Windows XP SP3 and the program finished the installation just fine.
So here is what I did:
1. I installed the program from the CD I had.
2. The program installed up to the step where it was trying to "analyze current video environment"
3. Close the program (You may have to do this through the task manager)
4. Go to the Desktop shortcut to launch PMB (be sure to tick add desktop shortcut when installing the program)
5. Right click on the shortcut icon and choose properties