Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Camcorders & Action Cam

Groovin'
foxhoundep3
Accepted Solution

Sony Action Cam Won't Charge - HDRAS15

Hello Everyone, 

Such a frustrating situation I am going through. So I purchased this camera back in October 2012, Have only used it once because of a cruise trip, the camera was "babied" the whole time. After I was done, I tried charging it and it wouldn't even recognized the USB or charge, so I had to transfer the pictures via SD card. I didn't payed much attention to it so I ignored it until we got back home. Since I don't use the camera on a daily basis, it was time for us to move houses due to military orders, and so we did, a few months went by and I finally tried using the camera again and charging it, but again, no charge. I tried different computers, different USB cables, different USB ports, taking the battery out, turning on the "PowerUSB" On and then OFF, and nothing. 

I called the extended warranty that I purchased through the Store and they only cover accidental damage, so I called Sony and they got the nerve to tell me that I have to pay for the shipping of the camera to get it fixed. Hello?!!! I have a $275 dollars paper weight at home that has only been used once and I have to pay for the shipping??. 

Basically I purchased this camera since day one, since launch time and these people wouldn't even help me with a box and a shipping label to fix what appears to be a broken camera from factory. I've been a big Sony consumer and never had to used their warranty but after this, never again. 

has this incident with the camera not charging happen to anyone else?, the camera has never touched the water, dropped, kicked, shaken, it has always been on the waterproof case. it turns on, but it shuts back off after a few seconds with a sign that says low battery. 

I really wanted to like this camera. But given the circumstances, If I don't resolve this within a week I am switching to a Gopro. 

Good job Sony. 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Re: Sony Action Cam Won't Charge - HDRAS15

Hello Miguel

Are you charging  the HDR-AS15  to a newer laptop?   many of the newer laptops are thinner and have more sophisticated power  options  than computers from  a few years ago.   It is possible  the Settings of your laptop may not be providing enough current to charge the NP-BX1 Battery,  

You have a few options,   one is to  try testing  the charging ability by plugging your Action cam into the USB port of  a Desktop Computer. 

be advised for a full charge it will take aproximately 4 hours  to go from a fuly depleted battery to a full charge.

Your second option is to use an External Battery charger.   (sold separately)

http://store.sony.com/p/Bloggie,-Cyber-shot,-Handycam,-Walkman-Charger/en/p/ACUD20

an AC-UD20  can fully charge your battery in  less time  taking just under 3 hours  to fully charge.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
roberta08

Hi Foxhound,

I feel your pain, but I overcame it!  I bought the Sony Action Cam, as a birthday gift, for my boss who is a RABID fisherman.  I also bought every possible accessory including extra batteries...but NOT from Sony.  (IT PAYS TO PRICE SHOP THE ACCESSORIES!)  I got them from BestBatt.com...and thank god I did.  As he discovered, during his fishing trip, only the "Kapaxen" brand batteries worked or he would have had an inoperable cam like yours!  I called Sony (which of course was an outsourced call), to complain and they sent me a free new battery...AND THAT ONE DOESN'T WORK EITHER!!!  The replacement took 1.5 hours to charge, & nothing happened.  The ends of the batteries look identical, & they fit in the tray the same way but the Sony battery just does not work.  My advice is...give up on the Sony brand batteries, and go to BestBatt.com.  My boss LOVES this camera...the color & clarity of his videos is STUNNING!  The battery problem is not the camera's fault.  I saw a Consumer Reports type story, on NBCDFW, comparing the GoPro & the Sony wearable cams...they said the only difference between them was the price.  I also bought a great waterproof, wearable case (pouch) from a website called the Waterproof Store...to hold the extra batteries, etc. 

Enjoy!

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
foxhoundep3

Hello Everyone, 

I am happy to report that the camera is charging as expected and everything went back to normal. 

What was the problem???

well.... it was kind of my fault, turns out I was using a different USB cable instead of the one provided by Sony, so whatever you do MAKE SURE YOU USE THE PROVIDED USB CABLE, Im not sure what the difference is but it works perfect with the provided USB. We all have lots of electronics that come with USB cables and during the opening of the camera the USB got mixed with the rest of USB cables that I have in the drawer where I keep them.  Well, One day i decided to take everything out and saw a USB Cable that was nicely wrapped that just screamed "Sony" and also "try me with the Sony Camera" lol. Since then I haven't had an issue. 

Let me know if this post helps, Enjoy your Sony Camera, BTW here is a link to a video I made with this awesome Camera https   www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVwgyiCghKM

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jalaute

Can anyone explain the difference between USB cables?  I'm interested in powering my AS15 from an external source (essential for time lapse) and expect to run into this issue. 

Please use plain text.
FrancisG

[ Edited ]

There should actually be no difference between the supplied cable and a third-party cable. In the situations above, it may simply have been a case of a bad USB cable used at the time. However, we still recommend the use of the supplied cable since it is the one that came with your action cam.

If this post answers your question, please mark it "Accept as Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
MontyB

I have only used my action cam once and was able to charge it out of the box. However, I was Getting annoyed with the camera turning itself off every 10 seconds and found in the menu I could turn off the auto power off feature. Now the battery now has NO charge left. I now see from the YouTube video that the camera has to be turned off to charge. But I have no power left in the battery to do this. So when i plug in the usb cable it tells me to wait and the dies. I seem to be stuck. Help!
Please use plain text.
FrancisG

Even if you were not able to actually turn off the camera and the battery just drained as a result of disabling [Auto Power Off], the camera should still charge upon connecting it to a computer.

For us to isolate the issue, please try charging using another USB cable, USB port or another computer. Note that the action cam will not charge if the computer is on sleep or hibernate mode.

It would also help if you could get another battery and see if the unit will charge properly. Ensure that the metal contacts of the battery are clean and void of any dirt or corrosion.

If this post answers your question, please mark it "Accept as Solution."

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
cmosse

Make sure that you are using the right battery tray. The camera is supplied with a dedicated tray for the NP-BX1 and the NP-BG1 (NP-FG1)

Other things to check:

• remove the battery and insert it again
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
tripthelight44

I had the same problem with a brand new AS15. When I 1st installed the battery it worked fine and charged fully. I used up all of the charge. Then, I left it powered off and connected to the computer all night and it didn't charge. I was using the new cable. I saw something online saying to remove the battery and then put it back in and charge. I tried this and it worked instantlly. I removed the battery, put it back in, and connected the camera to the computer. Charges normally. Seems like a bug.

Please use plain text.