Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Camcorders

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Camcorder to transfer video tapes 8mm Hi8 to DVD

Hi,
What better models of camcorder CCD-TRV Hi8 or DCR-TRV Hi8 (stereo) can I use to transfer to DVD many video cassettes 8mm Hi8 recorded in a CCD-TR805 Hi8? I hope your prompt help. Thank you.

Re: Camcorder to transfer video tapes 8mm Hi8 to DVD

Any of Sony's older range of Hi8 products, both camcorders or standalone decks should do a great job. However, if your original camcorder is in good working order you should be able to do a direct real time transfer without having to purchase any additional playback equipment.

Any camcorder that does not have a USB or i-Link output can be hooked up via RCA video and audio out jacks to a TV capture card input on your computer. You can record the output in real time and then create DVDs with the software on your computer. You could also use a DVDirect DVD Recorder such as the VRD-MC6 to record the output straight onto a DVD without a computer.
Garage Band

Is it possible to playback analog Hi8 / VHS tapes in a DV Camcorder and convert the output to Digital? I had an Sony analog camcorder TRV87E and it died suddenly. The Sony service outlets confirm that the repair is not possible anymore as parts are not being manufactured by Sony.

Please can you suggest any alternative solutions?

Thanks.

Top 40 Artist

I don't believe it is possible to playback Hi8 tapes in a DV camcorder as most of those, if not all, use miniDV tapes.  For VHS you would need a VCR and either a video capture device or a camcorder that you can use as a passthrough to the computer.  I have done the latter using an old Hi8 camcorder, with a FireWire connection, and a VCR.  Your best bet might be to find a used Hi8 camcorder.  I have seen some on Amazon. 

Garage Band

Thanks.

I found this Sony Camcorder DCR - TRV480E for sale locally. Can you let me know if this will serve the purpose for me? I saw the specs, but it does not say Hi8. However, it does say Analog-to-Digital with Pass through.

Here are the specs -

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCR-TRV480-Digital8-Handycam-Camcorder/dp/B0007M3PJY

Let me know your feedback.

Regards.

Top 40 Artist

[ Edited ]

Sony's support page for the DCR-TRV480E: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/DCR-TRV480E

The Digital 8 camcorder will play 8mm Hi8 tapes so it should meet your needs.

Link to manual for the DCR-TRV480E: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/2515263121.pdf

Top 40 Artist

Not true of all camcorders that have iLink.  For example the DCR-TRV320 has an iLink port and an A/V port so it can be connected to a VCR.  The presence of an iLink port does not exclude it from being connected to a VCR.