Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (987 Views)
Accepted Solution

Connecting a DCR-SR38 to PC with Windows 10

I am attempting to reconnect my DCR-38 camcorder to my PC via USB. I do not have the original disc with the picture motion browser. I have downloaded the playmemories home software but this does not respond to the camera being plugged in and the camera is constantly in preparing mode. Would really appreciate some help as I have considerable amount of precious videos which need transfering.

Thank you

Expert
Message 2 of 5 (978 Views)

Re: Connecting a DCR-SR38 to PC with Windows 10

[ Edited ]

This may seem like a strange question but do you have the camcorder in playback mode when you connect it to the computer?  When connected does the camcorder show up in Device Manager?  If I read the manual correctly it appears as though the video is stored on internal memory.  If this is correct, can you see the camcorder's internal memory listed as a drive in Windows Explorer?

If yes, take a look on page 98 of the User Manual and look specifically at the File/Folder structure section.  This would help you find the videos and should allow you to copy them directly from the camcorder's internal memory to a folder on your hard drive.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5 (969 Views)

Thank you for responding. 

I should have said the camcorder does not show up in Device Manager. The camcorder is in playback mode and once connected automatically presents the USB connect options on the camcorder screen. Once USB connect to PC option is pressed the camcorder displays 'preparing' and there is no progress from there on the PC or the cancorder. Play memories Home does not pick up the camcorder when it is attempting to connect (or otherwise).

Expert
Message 4 of 5 (951 Views)

[ Edited ]

What happens if you connect the camcorder without it being in playback mode?  Try connecting the camcorder to the computer with the camcorder turned off.  Once the connection is made then turn on the camcorder, but not in playback mode, select the PC connect option and check to see if continues in "preparing" mode and never connects.  If it does connect then the internal memory should show up in Windows Explorer.  

Links to others who have issues with camcorder being stuck in "preparing" mode:

https://community.sony.com/t5/Camcorders/USB-Connect-frozen-on-quot-Preparing-quot/td-p/68197

https://community.sony.com/t5/Camcorders/my-Handycam-is-stuck-in-quot-processing-quot-my-USB-connect...

https://community.sony.com/t5/Camcorders/HDRCX550V-download-hangs-at-quot-Preparing-quot/td-p/3855

The most common suggestions are to try a different USB cable and try a differenct USB port.  If you are attempting to connect to a port on the front of the PC and it fails then try a different front port.  If the previous fails then try a USB port on the rear/back of the computer.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (934 Views)

Thank you, it appears 3 out of 4 of my cables were an issue but fortunately one did work. I suspect the quality of the signal through the cable must have suffered because they 'duff' cables works on other devices. So problem solved and all 60Gb of video files backed up. Thanks again.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook