Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Camcorders

New Contributor
USER-908123
Accepted Solution

DCR-HC38, cassette compartment won't close

I am unable to get the cassette compartment to close on my HandyCam. The compartment is supposed to close automatically when you push on the door, but it stopped working. Plus, when I turn the power on, I get an error message saying "re-attach the power source". Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
sonymod_wi

Re: DCR-HC38, cassette compartment won't close

Thank you for your post.
Reset the camcorder by pressing the RESET button (open LCD screen, small hole above the speaker) using a sharp-pointed object. Ensure there isn’t foreign debris on the compartment mechanism. If the issue persists, the camcorder will need service, please visit our eSupport website for repair options: https://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-908123

Re: DCR-HC38, cassette compartment won't close

Looking for some advice. I currently have the DCR-HC38...however the cassette drive no longer closes. Sending it in for repair would cost over $100, so I'm thinking it would be best to upgrade instead; especially since I could get a pretty nice HD upgrade for around $200 or so.

The only caveat is that I still need to download some of my videos, therefore I still need a camcorder with a MiniDV cassette drive (at least temporarily until everything is downloaded. I'm leaning towards buying a cheap used MiniDV camcorder just for downloading...and then ultimately buying an upgrade with a harddrive.

Does this sound like a good approach? Also, would any sony model work for downloading my cassettes? (I.e. if the recording was done with an HC38, but downloaded using a HC30 for example, would the video quality be worse...or is the video quality only dependent on the recording itself?). Hope that question makes sense...

Any feedback would be appreciated...thanks!
Please use plain text.