Welcome to the Community!

Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 14 (2,288 Views)

DCR TRV27: Downloading from tape to laptop & converting to DVD

I have Windows 7 & a Sony DCR TRV27. How do I get videos off tape & burned to a DVD & what's needed?  The Pixela ImageMixer that included the Sony USB driver software disk does not load due to Windows version incompatibility perhaps? Do I still need a USB driver loaded onto my laptop given I am running Windows 7 already?   What do I need in terms of software to convert the DVR mini-tape to a file that can be burned onto a DVD and played as a movie?

Rookie
Message 2 of 14 (2,281 Views)

DVR TRV27

I have Windows 7 (Home Premium) & a Sony DCR TRV27. How do I get videos off tape & burned to a DVD & what's needed?  The Pixela ImageMixer that included the Sony USB driver software disk does not load due to Windows version incompatibility perhaps? Do I still need a USB driver loaded onto my laptop given I am running Windows 7 already?   What do I need in terms of software to convert the DVR mini-tape to a file that can be burned onto a DVD and played as a movie?

Expert
Message 3 of 14 (2,272 Views)

Re: DCR TRV27: Downloading from tape to laptop & converting to DVD

[ Edited ]

Hello Megan,

If you are trying to transfer the videos by connecting your Camcorder to the computer using the supplied USB cable, then it will not work. This is because the USB streaming feature of the camcorder is not supported with Windows 7 operating system. You can connect the Camcorder to your computer using the supplied A/V cable or using an i.Link cable (a.k.a. firewire/IEEE 1394).

If you wish to use the A/V cable, refer to the below link for instructions.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C111921

If you use an i.Link cable, refer to the below link.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalId=C111893

Once you have transferred the videos to the computer, you can use any video burning software to burn the videos to a DVD disc.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 14 (232 Views)

Hi ShaunH,

I know it has been a few years since you posted your reply to Megan, but I am having the exact problem she had. The links to your instructions no longer work. Is there any way you can update them or reply with the instructions? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Eric

Expert
Message 5 of 14 (222 Views)

Are you using a Mac or PC?  If a PC, what version of Windows are you using?  Does this camcorder have an iLink port (IEEE 1394 (Firewire))?  If yes then you will need to use it to transfer video to the computer.  If your computer does not have a firewire port then you will need to use a video capture device to capture the video from the camcorder.  On most, if not all, of the older Sony camcorders with an iLink port you cannot use the USB connection to transfer video.  You would need to use the A/V cable and a video capture device.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 14 (212 Views)

I am using a PC with Windows 7. My camcorder does have a firewire connection, but my desktop does not. I have open slots on the back to add one if you think that would work. If so, any suggestions on whick on to buy? Same for the video capture device, any suggestions on which one to buy if I decide to go that route? Naturally I would want to get one that would give me the best transfer quality. Thanks for you help and reply VideoGeek. I'm not a very techie person and I really appreciate it!!

Expert
Message 7 of 14 (209 Views)

If you can add a FireWire card then you won't need a video capture device.  Between the two the FireWire card would be the preferred option.  Which one you will need depends on whether you have a PCI or PCIe slot available on the motherboard.  

4 Port PCI 1394a FireWire Adapter

PCIe PCI Express Firewire 1394a

4 Port PCI 1394a Firewire Adapter (Tiger Direct)

I hope that helps.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 14 (206 Views)

VideoGeek -

I will try adding a FireWire card first and hopefully that will work. I will post my results in a few days. Much appreciated!

Expert
Message 9 of 14 (203 Views)

I hope it does work for you and look forward to hearing how it turns out.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 14 (99 Views)

Hello again VideoGeek,

Update: I purchased the exact controller card you suggested from Newegg and just installed it. It works!! The controller card and my camcorder synced right away and I was able to import a test video into Movie Maker with little effort.

Thank you very much for help!

My computer came with Movie Maker already installed. Do you think that program is adequate, or should I look into getting different software? Again, I am not a techie person, and I am simply looking to import home movies of my kids and family vacations so that we can edit them and create some fun and entertaining videos.

Your the best.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook