Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 7 (382 Views)

FDR-AX53 video camera shuts down / crashes when recording 4K video

I bought two AX53’s last month from Amazon and they both worked fine initially. One camera has developed a severe fault and I have found instances of it elsewhere online, but with no solution. It was working fine, then suddenly not.

When recording in 4K the video camera will crash / reboot after “recording” for about 1-2 seconds. The screen goes black and then the camera reboots. It doesn’t record anything to the memory card. It does this every single time, without fail. I’ve tested multiple memory cards (all of which work with my other AX53) and the problem persists.

I found a video on YouTube showing the problem (with no fix or solution): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U8xvtt7gt-g.

Luckily I am able to return the faulty camera to amazon for an exchange, however others may not be so lucky or have this fault develop outside of warranty. I found some posts online with others with the exact same issue but very little information on cause / solution.

Has anyone got a known fix for this issue or a solution to it? It seems pretty major and appears to totally kill the camera, with no solution.
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 7 (278 Views)

Re: FDR-AX53 video camera shuts down / crashes when recording 4K video

Exact same problem here, and I see other owners looking for answers in other places online.
It will crash/reboot only after one or two seconds of recording in 4K. No matter what card I use. Sometimes it will crash but won't reboot the only way to power down will be removal of the battery. My firmware version was v1.0 so I did a "factory reset" and updated to the current v1.2 but the behivior is still exactly the same.

Expert
Message 3 of 7 (271 Views)

What battery is that guy using in the video?

Is that a Genuine Sony? ( I can't tell, never seen a Sony battery that size and his video isn't great).

And what batteries are you all using? Genuine Sony or knockoffs?

Does the AX53 have an external power adapter?  Plug the camera in and see if that same thing happens.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 7 (256 Views)

Full disclosure: I have since returned the camera to Amazon for a refund however before sending it back I did a series of tests as I have two of the same camera so thought it may be interesting to compare.

I was using an official Sony battery. I also tried plugging in to mains power and the problem still occurred. My firmware was up to date at 1.2.

The really bad part is that the problem totally kills the use of the camera. There doesn’t seem to be any way to resolve the issue apart from buying a replacement (which is unreasonable for many, and only an option for those within warranty).
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 7 (230 Views)

Sadly mine is outside of the return time window.
Expert
Message 6 of 7 (223 Views)

ax53 wrote:

I was using an official Sony battery. I also tried plugging in to mains power and the problem still occurred. My firmware was up to date at 1.2.

It sounds like you have definitely exhausted all possibilities on your end.  Something inside must have given up the ghost and is shorting out.

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 7 (170 Views)

Wes35, out of interest have you contacted Sony about this?

Also one thing I did not test before returning is does the video camera still shut off when recording 1080HD content as opposed to 4K? I’ve only just thought of this and would be curious to know if it effects all recording or just 4K.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook