Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 4 (339 Views)

HDR-CX240E Continuous background noise

Hi everyone,

When playing back a recording on my new HDR-CX240E there is a continuous background noise.

It sounds like the whirring noise of one of those old-style film projectors (the ones with the big reels of tape).The noise is constant and it's quite audible - especially when I pause for breath.

I perch the camcorder on a pile of books and record myself speaking (I'm making short instructional videos). There's no camera movement and no altering of the focus setting. I'm assuming the camera's microphone is picking up the sound of whatever's going on inside the camera while it's recording.

Is there anything at all I can do to remove this annoying interference?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

Expert
Message 2 of 4 (327 Views)

Re: HDR-CX240E Continuous background noise

Is the HVAC unit (heat or air) running while you are recording?  Are you using the built-in mic? 

Have you tried using the Wind Noise Reduction option? http://helpguide.sony.net/gbmig/45315441/v1/en/contents/TP0000241895.html

Another option to look at is the Micref option: http://helpguide.sony.net/gbmig/45315441/v1/en/contents/TP0000241897.html

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 3 of 4 (305 Views)

Thanks VideoGeek - we have no aircon so I'm sure it's the camcorder's internal microphone picking up the machine's motor noise. I'm going to return the unit and buy the CX450 - that has a jack for an external mic. 

Expert
Message 4 of 4 (303 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think you will like having the external microphone jack.  Good choice.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook