Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 5 (315 Views)

Handycam DCR-DVD109E charge light extinguishes.

Hello all,

Newbie here with a question about my just-acquired Handycam.

This machine is working fine at themoment and the battery info tells me it's about 60% charged.

The snag is that, when I plug in the charger box and fire it up, the little yellow charge light goes out at around 17 to 23 seconds. Opening the LCD screen shows that when the light is on, the battery is charging but this stops when the light disappears.

I've tried the reset button and this made no difference. If anything, the light seems slightly happier with the disc door open but it still goes out.

The other point is that the bespoke plug is quite a sloppy fit in the DC-in socket. However, gently jiggling the connexion and trying the plug so it isn't fully in the socket makes no difference. I've also cleaned the plug's contacts - again, no difference. At the moment, pulling the plug and re-plugging brings the light back but it's soon out again.

Any ideas, please?

David

Expert
Message 2 of 5 (268 Views)

Re: Handycam DCR-DVD109E charge light extinguishes.

Is this a new or old battery?  It may be possible the camcorder won't charge the battery while the camcorder is on.  Does the battery fully charge if you do not have the camcorder on?

According to the User Manual (look at pages 22 & 23 for battery information) it is recommended that you turn off the camcorder before charging the battery.

Rookie
Message 3 of 5 (256 Views)

Hi VideoGeek,

Thank you! It's the battery that came with the camcorder, which I bought secondhand locally. I don't know the age of the equipment, I just know it's in very good shape with no wounds or wear marks.

I try charging the battery with the unit off, as per the instructions. On the main switch, the first detent is marked

'OFF' (CHG).

As I said, the charge light extinguishes after approx 17-23 seconds every time.

If I open the LCD screen and press DISPLAY/BATT INFO, the screen shows six of ten blocks highlighted, i.e. 60% charge. When charging is happening, the tenth (100%) block is shimmering. This stops when the charge light goes out.

I'm wondering if the software is happy with 60% charge and shuts off charging automatically. Perhaps I should use up most of the charge and see what happens when I try a recharge..

Thanks again, David.

Expert
Message 4 of 5 (248 Views)

That is an excellent idea. Let the battery completely discharge and then try charging it again. The prior use and handling of the battery could be a factor as well.
Rookie
Message 5 of 5 (246 Views)

OK, I'll try this strategy and let you know. Smiley Happy

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook