Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (261 Views)
Accepted Solution

New to HDR-CX240: Recording questions

OK I am quite new to this...

I noticed that there is a setting in Manual Settings (Image Quality Size) called Dual Video Rec which is ON. I wanted to confirm that this must be on if I want to export my recording(s) to Windows and playback in VLC Media Player in MP4 format. I need MP4 format to edit videos and place edits on the net etc. I am asking this as Dual Video Rec seems to consume a lot of extra storage space in the SD card.

In addition there is another setting which is Movie Format Select in Setup which is on HD Quality and not MP4. I wanted to confirm that this is only for playback and not recording.

As I am quite new to this I do not really understand the difference between HD and MP4. I thought HD was a form of MP4?

What I am trying to do here is to maintain quality without using unnecessary SD card space.

Expert
Message 2 of 5 (249 Views)

Re: New to HDR-CX240: Recording questions

Yes, it must be on if you want to record .MP4 files.  If it is turned to off then it will only record AVCHD files. The purpose of the .MP4 files is for quicker editing and more compatibility.  The AVCHD files are larger in part because they contain more "information" or data about the video recorded.  The AVCHD files are less compressed than the .MP4 files.

The HD Quality does refer to recording.  It specifically refers to the quality of the image recorded.  It does not change the format (container) used to store the recorded video.  You camcorder will only save videos in one of two formats (both with Dual Record) and those are AVCHD and .MP4.  

You may want to look at the Help Guide for information on Bit-rate and recording pixels as well as REC Mode as the guide will do a better job of explaining the differences between recording settings than I can.

You might find this helpful regarding the differences between AVCHD and .MP4: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/support-info.pl?info_id=810

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5 (237 Views)

Thanks a lot for all this information. I think I will also experiment with the camcorder a little to see the various quality output.

I just have one further question. When I am filming is it acceptable to have the AC adaptor on. I remember when I filmed for the first time earlier this year this was the case although I am not sure if this is bad for the camcorder.

Expert
Message 4 of 5 (227 Views)

[ Edited ]

I would only do it if you are recording longer than the battery will last or have it ready if the battery gets low.  I don't think it will harm the camcorder to use the mains as your power source.  I've done it before without damage to the camcorder.  However I would advise you to remove the battery when the camcorder is not in use.  Removing the battery will extend the battery life.  It is also a good idea to completely drain the battery before storing it for a long period of time.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (222 Views)

Many thanks for your valuable feedback.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook