Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (221 Views)

Play Memories what are the differences in the video files???

I just downloaded PlayMemories so that I could transfer videos from the handycam to my computer.  I have 3 short videos I'm transferring, yet there are 9 different files that are showing up on my computer.

There are 3 files that start out with MAH and then a series of number with an MP4 suffix.

There are 3 files that start out with a series of numbers and then an MP4 suffix.

There are 3 files that have an MTS suffix.

The MTS and numerical MP4 files seem to match up.  But the ones that start out with MAH don't match anything.  

The files listed are

MAH00012.MP4

00002.MTS

MAH00013.MP4

00000.MTS

MAH00013.MP4

00003.MTS

00002.mp4

00000.mp4

00003.mp4

And yes, some files have mp4 with capital letters and the other files have mp4 with lower case letters.

What is the difference with all these files?

Expert
Message 2 of 9 (195 Views)

Re: Play Memories what are the differences in the video files???

The .MTS files are the higher quality AVCHD video files.  It looks like Dual Record is turned on and thus you get the recorded video stored in two different formats (.MTS (AVCHD) and .mp4).  These files would have identical names but different file extensions.  

Features and Comparison of AVCHD and MP4 video files

As far as the files that start with MAH go I haven't a clue.  Are the file sizes of those files larger or smaller than the other .mp4 files?

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (184 Views)

The MAH (MP4) videos have a substantially smaller file size, around 32mb vs around 200mb for the other 2 types of files (MTS and mp4).

Expert
Message 4 of 9 (175 Views)

Very curious as to what they are indeed. If I find anything I will post it here.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9 (142 Views)

Thanks! I'm new to doing these things with video and have been trying to search for an answer before finding this forum and posting here. I also sent a Support email to Sony and haven't heard anything back.
Expert
Message 6 of 9 (106 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do any of the files have the same time/date stamp?  Do any of the MAH files match up time and date wise with any of the other videos?  If the date and time of the files that begin with MAH do not match any of the others that might help explain them.  Are these files viewable when you swith to playback on the camcorder?

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9 (96 Views)

The time and date stamp of the 3 MAH files matches with the 3 .MTS files.  

The camcorder only has 3 videos that show up available for playing.  

Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 9 (67 Views)

A mystery not yet solved then.  It appears as though there could be a connecting between the files starting with MAH00... and the .MTS files but I have no idea what that connection could be.  Hopefully someone who can answer this will chime in.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9 (56 Views)

Thanks for your time on this. Hopefully somebody will know.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook