Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (1,304 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sony DCR-HC21E Video Transfer to Computer

Hi there, I am still using my Sony DCR-HC21E Digital Video Camera Recorder I purchased in 2005 for family videos and the like. The camera came with software for copying my videos to my computer hard drive. As time went by over the past years I progressed from Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 Pro and now 10 Pro. The software is now obsolete and computers today don't come with firewire or DV ports anymore. 

Besides purchasing hardware to convert digital tape to .mpg which is how I do it now does, anyone else have any other way they do it? I would welcome your input.

Peter

Expert
Message 2 of 4 (1,265 Views)

Re: Sony DCR-HC21E Video Transfer to Computer

Are you working off a desktop or laptop computer?  If you are working off a desktop computer then it is still possible to add a FireWire card.  It would take a little work but it can be done.  FireWire support ended with Windows 8 so Windows does not natively support FireWire.  However, there is a way to get it to work with a FireWire card and a legacy driver.

Fixing FireWire problems with Windows 7, 8, 10

Windows FireWire legacy driver

Sources for FireWire cards:

Amazon

NewEgg

B&H PhotoVideo

For importing the videos from my FireWire camcorders I am using Adobe Premiere CC and on an older laptop Corel VideoStudio.  There are other programs that will work as well.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (1,246 Views)

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have a laptop with no firwirw port. As I said I overcame the problem by purchasing Magix Video 6 Rescue Your Video Tapes that works well with Windows 10 Pro. I have been able to digitise all my old tapes from 1998 to 2009. Some of the tape had started to disintergrate from old age and had to be cut and spliced. But I did the job!

Expert
Message 4 of 4 (1,128 Views)

Thank you for the update and sorry my response is late but I am glad to hear you got it solved.  Thank you for sharing the way you solved the problem.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook