Camcorders

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 11 of 17 (1,052 Views)

Re: fdr-ax53 audio rec level and audio distortion

Hello.

I am having the same problem as the originator of this thread.  My FDR-AX53 records too hot when using the built-in microphones.  The audio record level is set to "Auto" on the camcorder.  I recorded a band and choir concert.  The audio distortion was equally bad when recording the band and the choir, even though the sound output was much less from the choir.

I watched the sound levels in the monitor using Adobe Premiere, and the sound never actually peaked, but was in the "orange" area consistently.  We sell videos of our concerts, and the video from this camcorder was completely unusable.

Previously, I was borrowing a Sony HDR-PJ710v, and the sound was always excellent.  I did this for years with very good results.

Can you authorize me to exchange my HDR-AX53 for a HDR-PJ710v?  I would be glad to pay the difference in cost.

Enthusiast
Message 12 of 17 (925 Views)

I was experiencing recording levels that were too hot on the FDR-AX53 when recording with the built-in microphone in steroe mode and with automatic mic levels. There was a pretty good work-around, as mentioned in this thread at the top.  I switched the codec to AVC-HD.  The default recording mode switched to 5.1 surround, and then my audio results were much better.  The down side is that I am no longer recording in 4K.  For me, that is not a problem in that all of our videos are shown on HDTV.

A similar problem happened with the Sony HDR-PJ710v.  Recording in 5.1 surround gave good audio results, and recording in stereo resulted in consistent audio distortion when using the built-in microphones with auto-record levels.

Now that I have my work-around, I am happy.  However, I see others on this thread that experienced the same problem.  Is Sony going to address this?  A consumer should be able to expect to record in 4K, in stereo, with the built-in microphones, with auto-record-levels and not have distortion.

Enthusiast
Message 13 of 17 (818 Views)

Is there an option to turn the audio recording level down?
On my old Sony camera, you could select 'normal' or 'low' for the mic level and I always had it at 'low' for live music.

I am looking at the AX53 and will be recording a lot of live local bands so need to make sure the gain isn't up too high otherwise it would distort.

is there an option to turn it down?

Enthusiast
Message 14 of 17 (802 Views)

Yes, there is. The AX53 has the option where is slider for adjusting gain. Lowest setting is so low that I haven't been able to record any audio with it. So it has a pretty good range to adjust.

Enthusiast
Message 15 of 17 (796 Views)

ah cool. Once you turn the gain down does the distortion go away?

Enthusiast
Message 16 of 17 (792 Views)

Yes it goes as it should.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 17 of 17 (790 Views)

Awesome thanks, appreciate your replies.
Looks like this is the camera we'll be replacing our old one with then Smiley Happy

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook