Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 4 (610 Views)
Accepted Solution

Copying files while retaining embedded timecode

I shoot 4K on the FS7 and edit in on FCPX.  Often I have to copy files from the XQD cards onto a hard drive for producers who take the files home and create paper edits.  Here is the problem: When the files are copied, the embedded timecode isn't (or doesn't appear to be) and their left with video clips that all start at 00:00:00:00.  At least that's the case when they use Catalyst Browse, or other video players like Quicktime or VLC viewer

Letting these producers hold onto the original XQD cards and paperediting using the card readers isn't going to work for me.

My question is this: how can they copy the media and hold on to the embedded timecode so they can create a useful paper edit?

John

Message 2 of 4 (604 Views)

Re: Copying files while retaining embedded timecode

Hi jbuffone,

Thank you for your post. I am not able to reproduce the problem you are experiencing.

When you copy the clips from the XQD cards onto a hard drive, are you copying the entire folder structure, or just the clips only?

If you browse the clips on the XQD card, do they have the original timecode there? If so, I would say the issue is that you need to copy the entire folder structure over and not just the clips alone.

Let me know if that helps!
Omar
Rookie
Message 3 of 4 (596 Views)

Hi Omar.  Thanks for the quick response.  I had only tried to copy a single clip as a test.  I am trying to copy the entire folder (XDROOT) but when I select the location I want to copy it to, the 'copy' button in the bottom right hand corner does not become active.  I'm not sure what to do.

Message 4 of 4 (594 Views)

Hi jbuffone,

Thank you for the response!

Just to make sure I understand, in your first message, were you copying clips from the XQD cards onto the hard drive using Catalyst Browse, or were you using Finder/Windows Explorer? I figured maybe you were using Finder/Windows Explorer, but I guess I should have asked.

Regarding Catalyst Browse, you should be able to copy the entire folder structure while retaining start timecode by doing the following:

1). In Catalyst Browse, navigate to the individual clips.
2). Select all the clips you wish to copy.
3). Choose the copy tab.
4). Under the "Copy files to:" menu, set your destination.
5). Under OPTIONS, be sure to select "Copy all related media."
6). Choose "Copy."

At this point, you should see all the clips in their folder structure at the destination location. If you open the copied clips in Browse, they should now retain their original start time code.

Let me know!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook