Catalyst Software

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 2 (365 Views)

Transcoding MXF Files

Hi,

I am wondering how the best way to transcode .MXF files to .MP4 files. What is the best options/settings for a 4K video to keep its quality but also limit space? These transcoding are for backup purposes only.

how is the 'Internet 1920 x 1080 24fps; low-bit' option under the AVC/AAC export setting, different than the regular 'Internet 1920 x 1080 24fps'

Message 2 of 2 (358 Views)

Re: Transcoding MXF Files

[ Edited ]

Hi soysauce69,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the forums!

There are certainly a number of possible answers to your question, but for starters, are you using Catalyst Prepare or Catalyst Browse?  In Catalyst Prepare, there is a handy Backup feature that serves just the purpose you describe, with an additional level of checksum verification so you can be sure your backed up files are 100% safe and intact.

If using Catalyst Browse, I would actually recommend using the copy feature to copy the .MXF files instead of transcoding.  That way you preserve maximum image quality.  If you still prefer to transcode to .mp4, then I would suggest one of the 4K profiles that matches the frame rate of your original media.  

The difference between the regular and low bit rate presets is that the low bit rate presets produce files with a max bit rate of 4 Mbps.  The regular presets produce files with a max bit rate of 24 Mbps.  So that means the 'Internet 1920 x 1080 24fps; low-bit' option will be similar to the regular 'Internet 1920 x 1080 24fps' except that it will have less image quality in exchange for smaller file sizes.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, or if I can help clarify anything else.

Thank you!

Omar

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook