Welcome to the Community!

Customer Relations

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (1,324 Views)

Broken Sony wireless headphones, Model# MDR-XB950BT

I purchased a pair of Sony wireless headphones (model #MDR-XB950BT) some time last year. They are used 4-5 times a week with moderate use. I am not rough with them at all, as I use them exclusively at my office.

I haven't had any problems with them until last week. To be clear, they still tehcnically work--music still plays from them, and as far as I can tell, the sound quality hasn't diminished. But the problem is that the headpiece itself has broken in three places almsot all at one. First, the leftearpiece detached from the headset and was dangling from the wires connecting the earpiece speaker to the headset--I could tell easily that the tiny little screws holding the earpiece in place pulled through the holes into which the screws went. I wasn't pleased about that, obviously, but was willing to live with it, and simply used electrical tape to secure the earpiece back into place. Problem more or less solved.

The next day, the plastic stem holding the earpiece to the headset, this time on the right side, cracked and separated.I was not able to fix this issue. Superglue wouldn't stick, and I couldn't tape it up either. But still, I was willing to live with it.

Today, the plastic stem holding the earpiece to the headset on the right side cracked and separated in exactly the same place.

I've had these headphones for several months, and I understand that stuff breaks over time, but this is ridiculous. These were not the most expensive headphones in the world, but they were about $150, and I don't feel I've gotten $150 worth of value from them. I would like them to be replaced, ideally for a different set, as I have no faith in these. 

Please let me know what we can do to find an amicable resolution.

I can provide pictures if necessary. Thanks in advnace for your time and consideration.

Message 2 of 9 (1,321 Views)

Re: Broken Sony wireless headphones, Model# MDR-XB950BT

Hi jeffwjacobson,

Thank you for letting us know about your concern. Let me send you a message. 

Regards,

Dave

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (1,228 Views)

How did it go? I just talked to the online chat and they told me my warranty is only 90 days...

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9 (1,220 Views)

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9 (1,219 Views)

They gave me the runaround. No help at all.
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (1,207 Views)

Ah, disappointing. I was hoping a great company like Sony would take care of us.

Message 7 of 9 (1,190 Views)

Hi Charlesisgreat,

Thanks for your post. Let me send you a message. 

Regards,

Dave

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 9 (1,136 Views)

I purchased my second pair of MDR-XB950BT and I just called in to see about getting them replaced or fixed. Now this is the second pair I have owned and when the first pair broke at the right swivel joint I thought it to be a fluke and went out and purchased a second pair. After owning my second pair for just a few days shy of 6 weeks the second pair broke at the same right swivel joint and rather than just run out and purchase a third pair I thought to look up Sony Support on the Sony Web Site and called their phone number of 1-888-222-7669. I was told that I would have to email a picture of the headphones and reciept to them at STVSP@am.sony.com using the Ref.# ?64836110. I kept trying to conferm with the woman that I was speaking to what the fist letter or number was since I could not understand her weather is was an "E" or a "3" and when I asked her to repeat for me she seemed frustrated and I felt she was shouting at me and that just made it that much harder to understand her and when I asked her to repeat it again politely she hung up on me. Well anyways since I had in that timeframe of having the new headphones spent 3 weeks in the hospital and rehab for a hip replacement I was unable to locate the reciept so I am guessing that I am out of luck and Sony has made double the money of me from buying two pair of the MDR-XB950BT. There was a nurse that came to my home and set up my room so that I could get around with out any problems and I have no idea where she put things such as the reciept or the nurse might have thrown it out, I do not know but I have had my roommate help me look for it all day and we can not find it. So I am quite sure without the reciept they will not replace or repair the headphones and I refuse to buy a third pair and will not buy any other Sony Headphones no matter how good they so-und since there must be a design flaw for two of the same model breaking at the same point and therefore I want to warn everyone that the Swivel joint on the MDR-XB950BT and even CNET.com reviews said they thought that for the price tag that the construction of this model of Sony headphones was on the cheap side with plastic and could have been reinforced. Well Sony has made two sales of this model of headphones to me and I will give it to them they do sound great but I REFUSE to buy another pair just to have them break again and the fact that their customer service was rude and felt as if the woman that should have been helping me was yelling at me. I surely will not buy them again. I am sorry for even buying a second pair now too since that is just more money they made out with and I have two broken headphones to show for it. Sadly that my right hip has not healed enough for me to drive to best buy to see if they will replace them. My gosh, HP and my computer was fixed 6 months after purchase and I did not have the receipt with that and they still took it in and fixed it. No more Sony after this experiance since it has left a huge dent in my wallet and a bad taste in my mouth. I wish Sony was more understanding that I had no control of what happened to my reciept since the nurse that prepaired my room for me to be ready to come home and the Sony Support Rep was shouting at me in frustration. So Sony you can keep my money as I know your not about to give me a refund and just as likely not to replace or repair my headphones as much as I paid for them. I feel taken for good sound but a subpare flawed construction in design product. All I wanted is for them to replace or repair the second pair I purchased seeing they already had me for the first pair. I am not going to do this a third time and get taken again. I in no way would have been able to abuse them since I had a failed hip at the time of purchase and wanted a good set of headphones to go to the hospital for my hip replacement and then 2 weeks of rehab before I went home to finish recovering. Heck, I still can not walk with out assistance yet and same as it was when I bought them 6 weeks earlier when I had to use a walker to get around prior to my hip replacement. There would have been no way for me to abuse them in the physical condition at the time of purchase to the time that they broke and then get treated poorly by there customer service topped it all off. No More Sony For Me After This Second Pair Have Broken even if the sound and base was outstanding. I am not going to feel like I have been taken again!

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9 (845 Views)

Sony team, I am having the exact same problem. My wife gave me these headphones as a christmas gift, so it's been 6 months, but still, I don't think a $100 should break apart as ours did.

IMG_20170605_210803.jpg

I think you should rethink this product as it is clearly facing durability issues for many of us. I would love to hear back from you.

Regards

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook