Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Customer Relations

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 10 (316 Views)

Filing a complaint about extremely poor customer support and poor product quality

[ Edited ]

I've been a faithful customer of Sony items for many years. Just some of the items I have in my house are 60 inch television, PlayStation, Vaio Laptop, DSC HX90V camera etc. 

I'm very disappointed and frustrated with my interaction with sony customer support. I bought a Sony 60" 4K HDR TV around 2 months back and it was working fine for 2 months. 2 days back while I was watching TV, suddenly half of the screen started showing vertical colored lines and a spider web format towards right top corner. It seemed as if some internal capacitor might have got ruptured but there was no audible sound and no physical marks on TV screen itself so it is all internal. This all happened while I was watching and not when the TV was off. I was obviously not happy that an $900 set goes bad in 2 months but I can understand that end of day it is electronics product and can have a defect.

I called Sony Support as the TV set was still under warranty and the person who picked up the phone was nice to me and said that submit the pics of the TV set while it is ON so that they can see the issue and they will be able to give me advanced exchange. I did that right away and even submitted 2 images one with TV on where you could see the issue and other with TV off where you could clearly see that there was no damage on the TV set from my side. 

I was patiently waiting for 2 days and this morning they just called and said that some over smart engineer from their side just looked at photo and decided that I am not eligible for exchange as he termed it as physical damage. They must be nothing short of a fortune teller who could sit in some corner of Japan and make that kind of judgement. To me they are nothing but short of a egoistic company who does not want to stand behind their own product which failed miserably in 2 months and pass the buck to client.

I requested multiple times since morning to transfer me to some supervisor and till this moment which is 6-7 hrs down the line no one called. Every time I called, I was sent to a different customer relationship guy giving me assurance that someone will call. 

I am extremely frustrated with the way this case has been handled. If there was any customer focused company, they would have sent an engineer atleast to inspect the set instead of some nerd sitting in Japan doing what he wants. I am attaching the images in this post where everyone can clearly see that there was no physical crack on the screen while device is switched off and all what was there was internal to picture tube. It seems they just want to act the judge on their own case which is absolutely not done. Any decent company would have stood behind their own product with no questions asked. No wonder their sales are going down compared to some of the new players.

Here is the image of the issue. This kind of marks are showing up only when TV is on and no physical damage at same place when TV is off.

Issue.jpg

Here is the image of the TV set switched off which shows there are no cracks and everything is internal

TV Frame.jpg

How difficult was it for them to check the second image which I had clearly explained in the call that I will send 2nd image as well which shows no damage from my side.  

It is the most horrific customer service experience one can get. Not to mention the fact that with other customer support, if you wish to escalate, supervisor is made available ASAP instead of keeping customer waiting for a whole day and still counting. It is not about the money but simple ethics of operating in USA. You cannot simply cheat your customers this way. How can one make a decision without paying attention to other details I submitted or without listening to client. The defect could very well be from day one in the TV set but no one cared from customer support.

If your TV set cannot even last 2 months, why are you guys cheating your customers of their hard earned money. Any other company operating in US would have had a decency of replacing the unit ASAP and make it a good customer experience. 

I had a Samsung TV for 10 yrs and never failed and if your TV cannot stand for 2 months and you cannot stand behind it then it shows pathetic state of operations. 

I am already taking appropriate actions on my end to make sure this does not get unnoticed for other clients who cannot afford buying multiple TV's but I really wished it did not come to this point.

As it is I have purchased probably over thousands in Sony products in the last 10-15 years. I am to the point of never purchasing another item from this company again. 

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 10 (313 Views)

Re: Filing a complaint about extremely poor customer support and poor product quality

[ Edited ]

BTW just to add that in my last call, I had requested the customer relationship guy to give me a written statement of why they rejected my warranty so that I can take appropriate action and I have been waiting and have not received it yet.  I have the TV set with me as proof and will take appropriate action but they don't have even minimum level of courtsey to send the requested information wich they had promised few hrs back.

I am really astonished to see a company operating this way in America.  

Expert
Message 3 of 10 (287 Views)

Re: Filing a complaint about extremely poor customer support and poor product quality

That strange, I can't see your pictures.

Same problem someone else had for one of my posts.
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 10 (277 Views)

It says that the images are under approval phase for content moderation. So I am hoping it will be approved soon else I will host the images somehwhere and post the links.

Message 5 of 10 (241 Views)

Hi nshrivastava79, Let me send you a private message.

Thanks, - Jade

Message 6 of 10 (238 Views)

Hi sludge2017, Let me send you  a private message.

Regards,  - Jade

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 10 (222 Views)

[ Edited ]

This one keeps getting worse by every passing hour. So finally a supervisor called Rhonda called me few mins back i.e. after full day of waiting and again showed me the extent of poor customer service mindset. It initially started as if she is willing to listen to my case description but very quickly in 1 min she jumped to a conclusion again that it is my mistake. 

Honestly unless Sony customer relationship team thinks I have super powers in my eyes that I can damage a TV set by just looking at it as it went bad while I was watching, there is something seriously wrong. They are trying to prove everyone is a cheat whereas it is themselves who are cheating the customer by not standing behind their product. I started getting all kind of lame excuses that she can see that upper layer of TV looks fine (atleast someone saw that after 3 days) but said TV has layers and I might have caused damage to an internal layer. Not for a moment this company wants to stand behind their own defective product which went bad in 2 months. Do they really think I was standing their throwing object on the screen while watching TV just for fun? I even insisted that lets have a video call in that case and they can see what I am talking about. Are your internal parts so poor quality? Why are you considering it was not the case that it got impacted during your shipping process if it really is due to some internal damage? 2 months is too less for a TV to give up like this and no other consumer electronics would have asked such lame questions or made excuses.

After my insisting she finally agreed to atleast have some local tech person call me and inspect the TV set but again she was extremely reluctant about this and the voice sounded so cold by that point and towards the end she even hung up the phone on me in a haste by saying "Thanks for buying Sony". I don't know if that was meant to rub the salt in my wound. Attitude was as if I know you are not going to buy it again from us and we have already squeezed money from you on all possible devices so why invest time and lets just say bye quickly and get to someone else. 

Again the company just wants to cheat their customers who invested in their product and chose them above plenty of choices available in market. I am not expecting them to replace something which shows any damage like TV has fallen down. It is plain and simple internal malfunction which they can see as well. Just giving me all the inconvienience by playing delaying tactics for last few days. 

BTW I have still not received a written statement from them even after repeated request that they are denying my warranty so that I can take an action. All this trouble for saving just a couple of hundred dollars at their end. This has to be the one of a kind of worst possible customer support experience. 

BTW did anyone notice that unlike most customer support calls, Sony does not request customers to leave feedback of their experience in the call. That is perhaps due to very reason as their feedback rating will be quite low this way if people like the ones I had to deal except the first one who picked up the call on day 1 (that guy was good) with are asked to be rated. May be they ask customers selectively to rate them and try to get good ratings only for certain people. 

Message 8 of 10 (111 Views)

Hi nshrivastava79, let me call you now. Regards, Dave 

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 10 (108 Views)

[ Edited ]

So guys this is what I have got now which now is in direct contradiction with the other emails I got which clearly said, repair parts have been ordered and service has been scheduled. I am putting it here for the record of how conversation is evolving.

This is <Name hidden for privacy reasons> from Sony National Customer Relations.

According our findings your TV has impact point and that is what cause the problem and is not covered by warranty. We also reviewed the pictures of your unit and we have determined that your television will not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The warranty only covers product issues caused by defects in material or workmanship. This type of situation is not a manufacturer's defect and is therefore not covered under warranty

For more information regarding the limited warranty card of your Sony, please visit the following link: https://docs.sony.com/release//Warranty_459533302.pdf

Regards,

<Name hidden for privacy reasons> 

Sony National Customer Relations

I was also given a reason that the first email which said, parts have been ordered and repair has been scheduled was because the system sent a templated email and I should ignore it. This just made a mockery of written email which is a document of truth. What a lame excuse for a big company that their system is not even setup to handle this simple scenario. 

The absolute low of customer service came when they offerred me to buy the same TV at discounted rate and upn asking what was that rate, it came out to be more than what I originally bought it for. I had to make the person look at my original invoice to see what kind of a ridiculous idea it was. 

Anyways I will have someone to look at these docs ASAP and keep you guys posted about next step. 

Message 10 of 10 (100 Views)

Hi nshrivastava79m this is already been discussed over the phone. We stand by our findings. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. Regards, Dave 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook