Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Customer Relations

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (1,502 Views)

MDR-XB950BT/Black Broke at swivel joint 6 weeks after purchase and Custamer Service was no help and very RUDE!

I purchased my second pair of MDR-XB950BT and I just called in to see about getting them replaced or fixed. Now this is the second pair I have owned and when the first pair broke at the right swivel joint I thought it to be a fluke and went out and purchased a second pair. After owning my second pair for just a few days shy of 6 weeks the second pair broke at the same right swivel joint and rather than just run out and purchase a third pair I thought to look up Sony Support on the Sony Web Site and called their phone number of 1-888-222-7669. I was told that I would have to email a picture of the headphones and receipt to them at STVSP@am.sony.com using the Ref.# ?64836110. I kept trying to confirm with the woman that I was speaking to what the first letter or number was since I could not understand her weather is was an "E" or a "3". When I asked her to repeat for me she seemed frustrated and I felt she was shouting at me after that and that just made it that much harder to understand her and when I asked her to repeat it again politely, she hung up on me. Well anyways since I had in that timeframe of having the new headphones spent 3 weeks in the hospital and rehab for a hip replacement I was unable to locate the receipt so I am guessing that I am out of luck and Sony has made double the money of me from buying TWO pairs of the MDR-XB950BT. There was a nurse that came to my home and set up my room so that I could get around with out any problems and I have no idea where she put things such as the receipt or the nurse might have thrown it out, I do not know. I had my roommate help me look for it all day and we cannot find it. So I am quite sure without the receipt they will not replace or repair the headphones and I refuse to buy a third pair and will not buy any other Sony Headphones no matter how good they sound. There must be a design flaw for two of the same model breaking at the same point and therefore I want to warn everyone that the Swivel joints on the MDR-XB950BT and even CNET.com reviews said they thought that for the price tag that the construction of this model seemed cheap since the swivel joints and arch connection to the speakers were made of plastic and they said they did not seem that they would be very sturdy and likely to break. Sony headphones was on the cheap side with plastic construction and could have been reinforced. Well Sony has made two sales of this model of headphones to me and I will give it to them they do sound great but I REFUSE to buy another pair just to have them break again and the fact that their customer service was rude and felt as if the woman that should have been helping me was yelling at me. I surely will not buy them again! I am sorry for even buying a second pair now too since that is just more money they made out with and I have two broken headphones to show for it. Sadly, my right hip has not healed enough for me to drive to best buy to see if they will replace them. My gosh, HP and my computer was fixed 6 months after purchase and I did not have the receipt with that and they still took it in and fixed it. No more Sony after this experience since it has left a huge dent in my wallet and a bad taste in my mouth. I wish Sony were more understanding that I had no control of what happened to my receipt since the nurse that prepared my room for me to be ready to come home and the Sony Support Rep was shouting at me in frustration and refused to listen to me. Sony you can keep my money, as I know you’re not about to give me a refund and just as likely not to replace my headphones as much as I paid for them (now twice). I feel taken for good sound but a subpar flawed construction in design flaw or weak swivel joint in the product. And now I feel like a fool for buying a second pair. All I wanted is for them to replace the second pair I purchased seeing they already had me for the first pair I paid for. I am not going to do this a third time and get taken again. I in no way would have been able to abuse them since I had a failed hip at the time of purchase and wanted a good set of headphones to go to the hospital with for my hip replacement and then 2 weeks of rehab before I returned home to finish recovering. Heck, I still cannot walk without assistance yet and same as it was when I bought them 6 weeks earlier when I had to use a walker to get around prior to my hip replacement. There would have been no way for me to abuse them in the physical condition I was in at the time of purchase to the time that they broke and then was treated poorly by their customer service topped it all off. No More Sony For Me After This Second Pair Have Broken even if the sound and base was outstanding. I am not going to feel like I’ve been taken again with a purchase of a third pair! I will be more than happy to find a different brand to buy this next time even if they don’t have the same quality base as the Sony Headphones did. I am not about to be made to feel like a fool for buying a third pair and risking them breaking again.

Message 2 of 3 (1,496 Views)

Re: MDR-XB950BT/Black Broke at swivel joint 6 weeks after purchase and Custamer Service was no he...

Hi onatorrent, Let me send you a private message.  Thanks, Hailey

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 3 (1,443 Views)

Re: MDR-XB950BT/Black Broke at swivel joint 6 weeks after purchase and Custamer Service was no help and very RUDE!

Well the rep that wanted to private message me gave me the generic responce after making it clear that I had just gone through a total hip replacement and her suggestion was for me to send a family member that I have none liveing or a friend to go to the store and get a copy of the reciept. 1 I would never give my credit card to a friend no matter how close they were. 2 I had just cashed my Social Security Disability check and paid cash for the second pair of the same model headphones so how are they to track down a reciept on a cash transaction. Well my 2 purchases of the same headphones cost me close to $300 and they are telling me they are going to take action with the rep that yelled at me when I could not understand her and then she hung up on me? How are they to track this rep down to slap her on the hand and say No No, we don't treat our customers like that? I don't believe they would do anything since they know there is no way to track that rep down at this point. I didn't even have time to ask the rep for her ID number that they have to give when requested. So I will make a complaint with he BBB and see if I get any action that way. Because I know they are not going to do anything unless forced to at this point and getting a complaint from the BBB might just do the trick when they can not resolve the issue and are unwilling to work with me in the condition I am physically am in after a total hip replacement. What a pile of BS this has been and a waist of nearly $300 dollars. So so sad on Sony's part. read my original message and you will see the issue I am having with the reciept and the fact that a nurse had to come in and clean before I arrived home to recover from the hip replacement. I will stay clear of Sony products and I am so happy that I have HP as all my computer products other than this two pair of headphones that were from Sony. I am the type that learns quickly and I will not be buying sony unless there is no other way around it from now on. and I am going to post all this on my facebook page, Instagram and twitter link to my facebook so they can see how Sony really treats people even when they are disabled and unable to access the store after coming out of surgery!

SHAME ON YOU SONY! SHAME SHAME SHAME

onatorrent wrote:

I purchased my second pair of MDR-XB950BT and I just called in to see about getting them replaced or fixed. Now this is the second pair I have owned and when the first pair broke at the right swivel joint I thought it to be a fluke and went out and purchased a second pair. After owning my second pair for just a few days shy of 6 weeks the second pair broke at the same right swivel joint and rather than just run out and purchase a third pair I thought to look up Sony Support on the Sony Web Site and called their phone number of 1-888-222-7669. I was told that I would have to email a picture of the headphones and receipt to them at STVSP@am.sony.com using the Ref.# ?64836110. I kept trying to confirm with the woman that I was speaking to what the first letter or number was since I could not understand her weather is was an "E" or a "3". When I asked her to repeat for me she seemed frustrated and I felt she was shouting at me after that and that just made it that much harder to understand her and when I asked her to repeat it again politely, she hung up on me. Well anyways since I had in that timeframe of having the new headphones spent 3 weeks in the hospital and rehab for a hip replacement I was unable to locate the receipt so I am guessing that I am out of luck and Sony has made double the money of me from buying TWO pairs of the MDR-XB950BT. There was a nurse that came to my home and set up my room so that I could get around with out any problems and I have no idea where she put things such as the receipt or the nurse might have thrown it out, I do not know. I had my roommate help me look for it all day and we cannot find it. So I am quite sure without the receipt they will not replace or repair the headphones and I refuse to buy a third pair and will not buy any other Sony Headphones no matter how good they sound. There must be a design flaw for two of the same model breaking at the same point and therefore I want to warn everyone that the Swivel joints on the MDR-XB950BT and even CNET.com reviews said they thought that for the price tag that the construction of this model seemed cheap since the swivel joints and arch connection to the speakers were made of plastic and they said they did not seem that they would be very sturdy and likely to break. Sony headphones was on the cheap side with plastic construction and could have been reinforced. Well Sony has made two sales of this model of headphones to me and I will give it to them they do sound great but I REFUSE to buy another pair just to have them break again and the fact that their customer service was rude and felt as if the woman that should have been helping me was yelling at me. I surely will not buy them again! I am sorry for even buying a second pair now too since that is just more money they made out with and I have two broken headphones to show for it. Sadly, my right hip has not healed enough for me to drive to best buy to see if they will replace them. My gosh, HP and my computer was fixed 6 months after purchase and I did not have the receipt with that and they still took it in and fixed it. No more Sony after this experience since it has left a huge dent in my wallet and a bad taste in my mouth. I wish Sony were more understanding that I had no control of what happened to my receipt since the nurse that prepared my room for me to be ready to come home and the Sony Support Rep was shouting at me in frustration and refused to listen to me. Sony you can keep my money, as I know you’re not about to give me a refund and just as likely not to replace my headphones as much as I paid for them (now twice). I feel taken for good sound but a subpar flawed construction in design flaw or weak swivel joint in the product. And now I feel like a fool for buying a second pair. All I wanted is for them to replace the second pair I purchased seeing they already had me for the first pair I paid for. I am not going to do this a third time and get taken again. I in no way would have been able to abuse them since I had a failed hip at the time of purchase and wanted a good set of headphones to go to the hospital with for my hip replacement and then 2 weeks of rehab before I returned home to finish recovering. Heck, I still cannot walk without assistance yet and same as it was when I bought them 6 weeks earlier when I had to use a walker to get around prior to my hip replacement. There would have been no way for me to abuse them in the physical condition I was in at the time of purchase to the time that they broke and then was treated poorly by their customer service topped it all off. No More Sony For Me After This Second Pair Have Broken even if the sound and base was outstanding. I am not going to feel like I’ve been taken again with a purchase of a third pair! I will be more than happy to find a different brand to buy this next time even if they don’t have the same quality base as the Sony Headphones did. I am not about to be made to feel like a fool for buying a third pair and risking them breaking again.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook