Welcome to the Community!

Customer Relations

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 21 of 139 (1,514 Views)

Re: Sony KDL70R550A TV problem

I would like some advice about what to do with my non-functioning 70" Sony TV. A quick internet search of my problem tells me it will be so expensive to replace the LCD panel, that I might as well buy a new TV. Clearly, I don't want to sink more money into an already very expensive TV, so I am faced with buying a new one. Obviously, the new TV won't be a SONY because I don't want to get burned twice, so what do I do with the old one? I'll save everyone the trouble of replying with "paper weight" and "Doorstop", because it's too large and heavy to be practical as either.

Is there a parts market for these? I'd rather not have to pay to have it taken away, so if someone wanted to buy it for parts, I'd probably let it go cheap. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Ben

Apprentice
Message 22 of 139 (1,512 Views)

I didn't even get an offer for a 15% off a replacement SONY! I just got 1 message from some guy named Yuri who said they would call me and they never did. So I am disappointed in SONY's lack of quality products AND customer service. They really don't care about their customers. 

Message 23 of 139 (1,484 Views)

Hi bzolt, let me send you a private message. Regards, 

Enthusiast
Message 24 of 139 (1,447 Views)

I also just experienced this exact same problem yesterday on my KDL70R550A. After about two years of light use, no display, just sound. I've already contacted support by phone and also have emailed Customer Relations (Event ID # E61698085). Their response was the typical 15% off on a new TV that they always offer or pay to fix it yourself since it's past the 1 year warranty. This is the second time this has happened to me. My previous Sony TV (KDS50A2000) had an optical block issue that started to fail right after the extended warranty on it had ended. That TV was about 6-7 years old, and all I was offered back then was the typical 15% discount. I can understand 6-7 years being an older TV, but I paid close to $2000 for this replacement and it has failed in two years with light use. Researching on this forum and other places online, the repair sounds unfeasible since the panel cost is $5000, way more than the TV itself. Very disappointed in Sony after being a loyal customer for 20+ years.

Apprentice
Message 25 of 139 (1,439 Views)

Sorry to hear that Allen. I know the 1-year warranty is pretty standard for protecting against manufacturer defects, but I'm still of the opinion a TV should last substantially longer. If we were told our TV's would only last for 2 years, obviously we would never buy them. Sony should be ashamed that their TV's failed after only 2 years. This only hurts their reputation, and unfortunately for them, I've been retelling my experience to everyone who is thinking about buying a new TV. I'm surprised they haven't offered to replace our TV's since the older models that didn't sell are probably just sitting in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust.

I feel like this forum is becoming a support group for victims of Sony's lack of lasting quality.

Ben

Enthusiast
Message 26 of 139 (1,424 Views)

Yeah, I hear you Ben, I'm not sure I can trust Sony anymore since this is the second TV i've had issues with. On my older TV, they actually extended the warranty on the optical block after a class action lawsuit. Unfortunately for me, due to lighter use, I did not experience the problem until after that extended warranty had expired. Failing after just two years on this new TV is unacceptable in my opinion, but I guess it's my own fault for going with Sony again after the other experience. 

-alan

Message 27 of 139 (1,375 Views)

Hi alan800, sorry if we're unable to meet your expectation. Please be advised that our offer is final and will stand as it is. - Charlie

Enthusiast
Message 28 of 139 (1,336 Views)

Charlie, 

Thanks for the reply. I talked to an authorized Sony TV repair place that I found on the Sony eSupport website. They said it's a faulty display panel and that part is no longer available. By California law, parts must be availble for 7 years:

Quoting California Civil Code, Sec. 1793.03.
(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product.

Quoting Business and Professions Code, Sec. 9801(h)-(k)
(h) "Electronic set" includes, but is not limited to, any television, radio, audio or video recorder or playback equipment, video camera, video game, video monitor, computer system, photocopier, or facsimile machine normally used or sold for personal, family, household, or home office use.

There's got to be something you can do. Please let me know.

Thanks,
-alan

Message 29 of 139 (1,332 Views)

Hi alan800, please be informed that our offer is final. Again, we apologize for not meeting your expectations. Regards,

Apprentice
Message 30 of 139 (1,295 Views)

Hi Alan,

Perhaps a class-action lawsuit is what's needed if Sony is in violation of California law. I'll be more than happy to put my non-functioning TV on the stand.

-Ben

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook