Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (7,569 Views)

Worst customer service ever

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I’d like to share with you the terrible customer support I’ve experienced by Sony Hellas.

On April 17th 2015 I purchased a Sony Xperia Z3 (D6603) with registered IMEI: 356265061914924. At this point I would like to note that one of the major factors for purchasing said device was its advertised IP68 rating.

On December of the same year, said device was used in a pool, and within its IP specifications. Shortly after entering the water, the device shut down. After forwarding it to the appointed Sony service in Greece, the conclusion was that the water tightness was defective. The appointed service, then, repaired said device and returned it with a new IMEI (356265061752571).

On June 2016 the same incident occurred, and once more it was forwarded to the appointed service. At that point I informed both Sony and the retailer provider that I would like to have the device replaced (also, keep in mind that Sony deemed the retailer responsible for the replacement of the device, while the retailer in turn deemed Sony responsible). Once again, despite my request, the device was repaired and returned.

Again, on July 17th 2016, the same incident occurred. On July 18th the device was once again forwarded to the service. On July 19th, I informed Sony Hellas of the incident over the phone. Following that, and after consulting my legal advisor, I sent an e-mail describing the situation and stating that I was taking up my rights as a consumer and based on EU law 2251/1994 and civil code article 540 and requested either the replacement of the unit with a “brand new one, out of the box (not refurbished) or a complete reimbursement of the funds”. At this point it is important to note that according to the law, the company should comply with the consumer’s demands immediately and without causing further disturbance. Also, at this point I was without a device for a total of 3 weeks from purchasing it.

On Friday July 22nd I was contacted by a Sony Hellas representative that informed me that the device did indeed have a problem that cannot be repaired (it took them 2 tries and an official complain to figure that out) and that they would proceed forward with a replacement, on top of which he informed me that the replacement device was in stock both as a unit and as a coloring.

Fast forward to Monday 25th of July, no device was in sight. Once again I called up Sony to inform them that I had a business trip coming up on Tuesday 26th of July and I needed to have the device by then, otherwise, and on the grounds that it took them longer than usual to fulfill my demands and I had to call them in order to find out what is going on, I would withdraw from the contract and request a complete reimbursement of the amount, as I would be forced to purchase a new device, and replacing it wouldn’t be of much use to me.

The employee I was talking with was especially rude and even at some point attempted to point out that it was not Sony’s responsibility to replace the device “immediately” and that “immediately” is not particularly defined. I suppose that my legal advisor with an LL.M. in trade law has insufficient knowledge over the subject or that simply Sony has no regard of European laws. He also proceeded to state that they had given said order to their outsourced service department, therefore they had done their job, and I was left to contact the service in order to find out if the device had been dispatched.

Mind you, I spent about 3 hours back and forth, dealing with such a terrible service all the way, trying to get my device back, I was at the top of my head (remember that “without causing further disturbance?” , no regard for that either). Maintaining my integrity, I managed to get an answer from the service department (that I had to call up, because according to your employee “it is not within our responsibility to communicate with the service department”) saying that the device was at hand and it would be dispatched by Tuesday the 26th of July. Unfortunately that wasn’t nearly enough, as I had to leave for my business trip.

Coming back on Thursday the 28th of July, no device had been received. Once again I had to call up the service department to hear the following words (again) “the device is in stock and will be dispatched today”. Finally, on Tuesday the 2nd of July I received the package only to realize that what I had received was the packaging of my old device (which I had used to ship it to the service department) with another device in it. Apparently there was also no regard about the request of a “brand new out of the box”, I simply had no way of knowing if somebody had tampered with the device or if it was new or refurbished, which by the way was covered with dust all around and a sticky substance on the micro SD cover, and to make matters worse, prior to even booting the device (which I still haven’t, and I am not going to) I tried clicking the physical buttons which behaved worse than the ones of my old device that I had clicked thousands of times. Based on all of the above and the behavior I had to deal with, I have no reason or will to rely on your company’s customer support anymore.

I am without a cellphone for the past 4 weeks and to top it off I am so despised by the way you treat your customers that I will refrain from purchasing a Sony product ever again. At this point I will proceed to press charges against Sony Hellas backed up by the European Consumer Centre in Greece and request for reimbursement of the full amount. I do hope that this will prove useful in improving your customer service in my country so that future customers of yours won’t have to deal with the same sh*t.

The ticket number for Sony Hellas was 1-26587467606

P.S. Worst part of all, I am the product manager of a hardware start-up that specializes on smart smartphone peripherals and I used my own Z3 as a test bed to develop our product for. Take a wild guess on how that worked out for us!

Kudos

Message 2 of 9 (7,530 Views)

Re: Worst customer service ever

Hi stavros112, thank you for bringing this to our attention. It will be best that you contact our Sony Mobile team regarding your concern. You can reach them at Sony Mobile Support. Regards, Ella

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (7,516 Views)

Oh I'll go on and post this everywhere

In the meanwhile feast on my lawyer's comment regarding your reply

"The response from them. Good lord, they do the same thing you are complaining about-redirecting you"

Let's go on and on in circles and maybe someone entitled enough will deal with it. Sigh...

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9 (7,405 Views)

***Update***

---------------------------------------

The case has been registered and filed in the European Consumer Centre along with all the relative receipts, documentation and photographs, which in turn is going to notify the company at fault (Sony Hellas) of my request for a complete reimbursement of the initial cost plus an amount for the total of the days I was left without a cellphone. 

I'll keep updating the story as it unfolds.

Please keep it up for awareness.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9 (7,247 Views)

[ Edited ]

So yesterday I got a call from Sony Hellas. Asking me about the letter from the European Consumer center. I guess they didn't read it or I wasn't clear enough. They went on to explain that the purpose of the phonecall was to re-establish "trustworthiness". A little late if you ask me. I went on to explain the situation again, to which they asked me what was my request for that. The answer was again "a full refund" to which they replied that they would investigate and call me back.

Today I got another phonecall informing me that they could not issue a refund as the device was bought by a third party import (phone is still EU version, imported from Italy to be exact), and they asked me whether I would like to "investigate other options" for solving the matter.

I guess I wasn't clear enough on my letter to them. Long story short, the matter is still not solved, I will proceed to call a meeting with the company and a representative of the European consumer center and request for the same thing. Sony might not be able to issue a refund but since the law clearly states that I can ask for one, its only a matter of time before getting there. It's just sad that it has come down to this. Anyway,

Going to keep updating as it unfolds

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (6,970 Views)

[ Edited ]

So, another cool update. The European consumer center issued a report where it recongnized my claims and dismissed all of Sony's "appeals". It also suggested that Sony, within the concept of "easing the customer's trouble", to accept my claims and issue a refund. And just when I thought i was about to be done with this.

Sony replied with a letter where they pretty much acted "crazy". Not accepting solid facts, nor showing any willingnes to comply. They are obviously aware of the fact that the consumer center cannot order them to comply so they are trying to make it as hard as they can for me in order to settle. As of now I am awaiting for a date in order to meet up close with Sony's representatives. If they too behave in a similar manner, then I am only left with the option of letting the European Consumer Center to issue their report of Sony not complying. Then adding that up to my folder and proceed to a proper trial where I also get to claim a compensation for the 3+ months I have been without a cellphone. 

What a f*ed up way to treat your customers... 

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 9 (6,413 Views)

Another inspirational update. 

Picking up where I left off. The European consumer center called for a meeting with Sony and the retailer that sold me the device, as under EU legislation they are both liable for my satisfaction as a consumer. Sony DECLINED attending the meeting without providing an explanation. The meeting was held just with a representative from the retailer who pointed out Sony as the perpetrator and Sony pointed out the retailer as the one responsible. Which is clearly their tactic right along with miss representation in order to get their customers confused. Caught in between a well orchistrated game of tennis between Sony and the retailer I was still without a cellphone and nobody seemed to care enough to take up responsibility. During that time I visited 5 different professional service providers who all were able to indentify my claims but were unable to provide me with a report as they are not the "Official Sony service" in Greece. 

So it seemed that the only option was to go to court or send the phone back to Sony's service. Which is a third party company. After a call with Sony's head of customer care who only seemed to care about rebuking any claims against Sony. I sent the phone back to them, only to get their BS for the fourth time now about how the phone was "fine" and they were doing me a "favor" by replacing it. Do NOTE that since my Z3 was a phone introduced in 2014. Which out of the 2 years of ownership I was able to use it for 13 months as a defective, to a total of 0 months usage as a fully functional phone which I paid full price for. So based on that I asked for an upgrade which only seemed reasonable as the advancement of technology rendered it a much inferior device to the one it was 2 years ago when I bought it. 

AGAIN the only thing Sony's head of customer care seemed to care about was NOT SATISFYING THE CUSTOMER and just COMING UP WITH GIBBERISH about how the device was perfectly fine. And since it was "perfectly fine" they decided to replace it, AGAIN. 

Today I received my "new" device which came in an open box, marked with Turkish characters, and when I turned on I realized that the phone had been turned on before, with a 5 day old SMS from a local carrier with internet settings saved up in its memory, no welcome and set-up screen (obviously) AND A NOTICEABLE LIGHT BLEED ON THE TOP BEZEL. 

So following another 15 minutes of heated argument with the head of customer care. Who once more came down with every excuse possible to relieve Sony from any "responsibility" , even downright refusing to believe that the device I received had a message from a previous time (declining my suggestion to send him a screenshot) and constantly claiming that "we did everything in our power to help you, but you turned down our efforts". After which he repeatedly asked me "What can I do for you?" to which the only option he presented me with  was "We'll replace your current device". 

Evidently, his job as a "head of customer care" is to bring up more problems to the consumers instead of actually providing solutions. 

WELL F'IN DONE SONY

Message 8 of 9 (6,380 Views)

Hi stavros112,  we're sorry for the inconvenience this issue may have caused you. We find it best that you contact our colleagues from Sony Mobile regarding this. You can reach them at Sony Mobile Support. Regards, Ella

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9 (6,310 Views)

If you were sorry for the inconvenience your lousy customer support has caused you would have actually DONE something in the interests of your customer. 

Thanks!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook