Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Customer Relations

Groovin'
cmsbutter
Accepted Solution

my Sony 40inch XBR9 will not turn on

I purchased the Sony KDL-40XBR9  TV on 11/11/2009...the TV has been fine untill 08/2013, I went to turn the TV on, and Nothing...It will not turn on, it does nothing. I paid $1,000 for that TV..I just knew it would last longer than 4 years.

I had purchased the extended warranty for an additional year, but, did not extend it after that.

By last Sony TV lasted 15 years, with no issues at all, when it finally "died" in 2013, I contacted Sony tech. support, they advised me just to "pitch it", My Sony had the "Trinitron Engine", and I was told they probably did not even have replaceable parts.

Now, I've just purchased The Sony KDL-50R550A..I thought long and hard if I should give Sony another try. I truly Love this TV, however I know I have 30 at which time I can return it...I'm actually "afraid to keep it"...I did purchase a 5 year warranty with this TV

I've always purchased Sony products since the 70's...I just thought Sony would stand behind their products more...I just want Customer Relations to know, that, I am a happy/unhappy customer at this time.

My XBR9 TV is just sitting in my basement, I don't know if I'll have it repaired or not. The repair shop Tech support referred me to want $100 basically just to "walk in the door"..they did say however if I chose to have the TV repaired, they would apply the $100 to the repair cost.:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
AmandaM

Re: my Sony 40inch XBR9 will not turn on

Hello cmsbutter, We understand that your previous TV was having issues and we advised to have it looked at by an authorized Sony servicer. As much as our full intentions are to make a perfect product that will last for many years, sometimes repairs are going to be required. If you still have the TV in your possession and would like to see what options Sony can provide to you after having it looked at, please don't hesitate to let us know. We'd be more than happy to see if there's anything else that can be done. But in order to do this again, we will need to have it looked at first by a servicer that can send us documentation showing us what will be required to fix your TV and how much those repairs are going to cost. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
cmsbutter

Thanks Amanda for such a quick response...when I get more monies, I will have the TV checked out by one of the servicemen Sony recomended. I will post the findings on  Sony Communities.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
AmandaM

Please do! We are always here to help :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
ESCADA

I purchased a KDL46XBR9 for $2,399.99 and an extended 4 year warranty ($199.99) on 6/30/2009. A week or so ago the tv started cutting off and back on several times, then just goes off. It repeats this cycle each time I cut the tv on. A red light flashes 10 times, then pauses and starts again, all while the tv is off. I called Sony (888) 222-7669 speaking with Phillip and he told me the warranty was in effect and gave me a number to call (866) 374-0134... I called and spoke with a lady name Crystal (x 5319) who indicated she was a supervisor after I told her I wanted this elevated... She indicated that this warranty went into effect the day I purchased the tv. This is not logical to me, because the limited warranty comes with the tv. I would not pay for that covered period. This is not right! Of course now I have a 4 year old television that is of no use. I purchased this television because of Sony's reputation of solid products. I can get a brand new television from a competitor, like Samsung or Visio (LED) for less than it would probably cost me to get this one fixed. Naturally, if Sony does not want to honor the warranty as it was stated to me when I purchased it, I will never by another Sony product…

serial: 8002045

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
AmandaM

Hello ESCADA, I see that you've been posting on other threads in regards to this and my co-worker PatK just replied to one of them advising that you please email us at SonySupportUSA@am.sony.com. We recommend following his instructions, and either myself or one of my team members will review and get back to you with a response shortly after. Thanks! =)

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
cmsbutter

Sooo sorry for you Escada about the issues with your Sony XBR9...(also for responding so late)...I feel the XBR9 Model TV's were poorly built...extended warranty or no warranty, these TV's cost too much money for us to have issues with them in such a short period of time. And, you are probably 100% right, It's gonna cost you "an arm and a leg" (me too) have this TV fixed...It really ******! Have a good Week :-)
Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
PatrickK

Good morning cmsbutter,

I regret to hear the experience that you have had with your television.

Please feel free to email us at Sonysupportusa@am.sony.com with Conversation #1513069 in the subject line and we will review your case.

Please provide us with your Event Id number if you have one (should start with the letter "E" and have 8 digits afterwards) and your contact information with model and serial number.

Please include your purchase receipt and any previous service invoices.

Thank you...

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
cmsbutter

Hello AmandaM or PatrickK...my conversation# 1513069.

I did as you suggested AmandaM and I took my XBR9 to Love TV Sales & Services pr. #314-739-0007- 12303 Natural Brdige Rd. St. Louis, Mo 63044 Ticket #500004 on 10/26/2013 (Sony's customer service representative advised me to do this)

They diagnosed my XBR9 as needing a BU Board of "Brain Board", because the TV will not come on, and this is obviously damaged, he also stated he did not know if their was anything else wrong, but he knows it needs this..he gave me a price of $493.38, of which I already gave him $60 just to diagnose the TV.

I am deeply upset that a TV of this magnitued to "fall apart in 4 years". As I told you earlier I did purchase another TV from Sony.com which also cost me a little over a $1,000.00...I did purchase an extended warranty plan, so I sguess when the warranty runs out in 3 years, so will the TV...If this happens I'm truly done with Sony Products.

I cannot afford to pay $500 for the TV repair, and they tell me something else is also wrong...

Is their anything Sony can do to help me????????

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
AmandaM

I completely understand your frustrations. I was reviewing your file and I wasn't able to find the offers that you claim were given to you over the phone after your had your unit evaluated. Were you given a different reference number that we can take a look at? And when was this call made? Please let us know when you can so we can better assist you. Thanks!

Please use plain text.