Cybershot Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 8 (1,112 Views)

Battery Exhausted??? RX100 M4

[ Edited ]

I'm confused... I brought my Sony (RX100 M4) 3 weeks ago and it WAS going great until it shut down suddenly with an exhausted battery. I recharged it and it flashed a quick "Battery Exhausted" message before it shut down completely, now it won't switch back on. 

After reading the many complaints about Battery issues, I tried a couple of the fixes recommended, eg. take battery out, hold down ON button for 1-2mins and wait 24hrs, nothing worked. I have used both Cannon and Pentax cameras previously and know it is not normal for a camera that has only taken 23 normal resolution photos, on a single day, after being recharged, to be so 'exhausted'. I haven't been moving it excessively, I haven't been over charging the battery and the battery was new when I got it.

So here is my question: What am I supposed to do? Spend money on another battery, which might have the same thing happen to it (as it sounds like the fault is with the camera and not the battery). Am I supposed to return my camera, as it is still under warranty, but then risk a replacement camera having the exact same problem - as it sounds like it's a common problem for a lot of users? I travel a lot and work daily with photography for social media and need a reliable camera, that won't shut down after half an hour of use. Speaking of social media, a lot of my 3K followers (and fellow photographers) are keen to know how my new Sony is working out, am I supposed to tell them it was good but now it's a lemon?

And lastly, this battery problem has been reported by others way back in 2012 - 5 years ago - why has it not been fixed yet? After initially taking a few great images with my new Sony Cybershot I am now very disappointed. Any answers would be very much appreciated.

Expert
Message 2 of 8 (1,070 Views)

Re: Battery Exhausted??? RX100 M4

What is the date stamped on the battery?
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 8 (1,064 Views)

It's stamped: 20170612 - it's the Sony lithium NP-BX1 (if that helps clarify)... any ideas?
Expert
Message 4 of 8 (1,052 Views)

That's newer than any of my Sony batteries. My oldest battery is 2014xxxx, and it is a little weaker (I don't get 1 hour 45 minutes in 1080p/30 action cam) than the 2015/2016 batteries I have collected from RX100V, and Sony action cams and chargers.

I have these Wasabi batteries that can only do 1 HFR 960fps recording before shutting down.

It sounds like you are charging the battery in the camera?

You should get the Sony external battery charger from Sony that comes with a battery. I have 2 of them.

Without having another battery - it would be hard to blame the camera or the battery at this point?

So my guess would be - that battery is dead/isn't charging anymore in your camera for whatever reason and won't turn on.

Expert
Message 5 of 8 (1,029 Views)

Dsignerm wrote:

I'm confused... I brought my Sony (RX100 M4) 3 weeks ago and it WAS going great until it shut down suddenly with an exhausted battery. I recharged it and it flashed a quick "Battery Exhausted" message before it shut down completely, now it won't switch back on. 

If you really think like in the other thread you replied to - that the battery is dead because the camera is turning on, It may be possible to bring the battery back to life.

What you need to do is plug it in.  Wait 10-15 seconds.  Unplug at the wall, replug in again, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.  At some point  - if the battery has any life left - it might start continuing to charge.  I have used this on a couple of devices with success.  

It would really help if you had a battery bank, that you could just keep clicking on instead. 

I wouldn't recommend pluggin in and out at the camera - that would just wear and tear it needlessly.

What kind of camera bag do you have it in, if any?  Have you see the camera turn on at all randomly?

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (947 Views)

Belated Hello and thanks for replying - sorry I've been traveling.

Yes, this is the first camera I've used with a built in battery charger and going by this experience, I think I prefer the external option. Also, other people have recommended it might be the better alternative for battery longevity. So I think I'm going to have to buy a new battery and external charger and see how that goes.

Fingers crossed...

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 8 (946 Views)

Hi again,

I'm not sure if my "exhausted battery" resulted from my camera turning itself on whilst in its case. I know that the lens wasn't extended as I keep it in a compact padded camera case which keeps it all firmly in place. Though I know it wasn't in the case and out of use for very long between shots on the day it 'died'.

I'm thinking maybe one of the camera program/functions selections might have caused the problem eg. the stabilizing option being selected (not sure if that's what it's called I'm going by what someone else suggested), but I've only had the camera for 3 weeks and I haven't really changed the settings from when I received it?

When I get home I'll get my husband to check the battery with his voltmeter (he used to be an electrical technician) to see if it still has any 'life' in it. But regardless I'm going to have to buy a new battery to get my camera restarted.

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 8 (942 Views)

I've had my RX100V for almost a year - I'm always playing with it - and swapping batteries at least weekly.

Sometimes I turn it on and it shows 50-75%, and I figure that was previous usage catching up.

I also have the Sony case.

Well, report back any findings.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook