Cybershot Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New Contributor
Message 1 of 3 (5,320 Views)
Accepted Solution

Carl Zeiss vs "G" Lens

I've been away from Sony for several years and notice that all the newer cameras come with a "G" lens instead of a Carl Zeiss lens.

Can anyone educate me on the finer points / detractions of both lenses?

Thanks,

Igloo
Trusted Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (5,319 Views)

Re: Carl Zeiss vs "G" Lens

Sony's G lenses are large aperture optics which professional photographers use, and they are exceptionally helpful in low-light situations. The glass used, are of the highest quality and has minimal chromatic aberrations and distortion. As for Carl Zeiss lenses, they, too, offer high-quality lenses and have a rich heritage of designing optics for imaging purposes.
New Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (5,319 Views)

Re: Carl Zeiss vs "G" Lens

Igloo, I would suggest you check with those on-line sites and magazines that do independent review of photographic equipment to find a comparison of those lenses. I understand sony's alpha cameras can use both CZ and G lenses, so someone must have tested both. I wouldn't expect to get an unbiased view of sony's products on this forum. E.g. "SonyMod_wi" sounds like a Sony apologist to me - no real info in their response to your question. I suspect the choice of Sony to switch from CZ lenses to Sony was just an economic choice to bring the lens production in-house with the savings and control that affords a large company. Good luck! Would be interesting if you would post whatever you find back on this site.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook