Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 4 (986 Views)
Accepted Solution

DSC WX1 Third party memory card

I have an older Cybershot (DSC WX1) taking a Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo. I've been having trouble finding duplicate memory cards (since newer Sony cameras now take SD) so I purchased an adapter online that allows me to use a Micro SD chip. I attached an 8GB high speed SD chip. When inserting this into the camera, I get a message that says "This Memory Stick may not record or play". I do appear, in fact, able to do so. I took a sample photo, was able to erase it normally, the screen said I had over 4000 shots remaining, everything else appears normal.

Does this camera have a sensor that signals if a non-Sony card is inserted? I suspect this is just an artifact of using the adapter but I want to make sure since I need a reliable memory card for precious vacation pictures.

Professional
Message 2 of 4 (964 Views)

Re: DSC WX1 Third party memory card

Did you format the card in the camera?

It could be a subtle nuance with the adapter, but more likely the card isn't fast enough or may even be a counterfeit card.

On the other hand, it may work perfectly for years.

But to be safe, reformat the card, then try to record a movie. (Nothing will tax your card more than recording a movie.)

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Rookie
Message 3 of 4 (957 Views)

Still have this message.

I formatted the micro chip in the camera, successfully recorded both stills and some movie, successfully erased, so I probably should see this as a nuance of the adapter. Currently have a couple adapters on order from a different source (and they are name-brand) - will try again with those. (they are only $2.50 each).

Professional
Message 4 of 4 (955 Views)

Good luck.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook