Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (826 Views)
Accepted Solution

File format with Photoshop CS6 and RX100 V

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Before I buy a new Sony camera, I have two questions that I did not find answer on the web.

With a RX100 V, can we open jpeg files in Adobe Photoshop CS6?

And I think it is not impossible to open a RX100 V raw files with CS6?

I know jpeg and ARW files will be possible to open with Adobe Lightroom 6 with the new camera raw but not possible with Photoshop CS6

Thank you

Professional
Message 2 of 5 (796 Views)

Re: File format with Photoshop CS6 and RX100 V

yvondaigle wrote:

With a RX100 V, can we open jpeg files in Adobe Photoshop CS6?

There's never any kind of impediment when attempting to open a JPEG.

The only impediment of any kind is when attempting to open a RAW file. That's because each model camera can and often does store different data in different places in RAW files, and image editting programs need to be able to recognize the RAW files so they can open them and recognize the data within.

yvondaigle wrote:

And I think it is not impossible to open a RX100 V raw files with CS6?

The latest version of Camera RAW to work with CS6 is 9.1.1. The earliest version that supports the RX100 V is 9.8. Thus, no, CS6 can't open RX100 V RAW files with Camera RAW.

However, Adobe DNG Converter, version 9.8 and later, can convert RX100 V RAW files to DNG files which Camera RAW 9.1.1 and CS6 can work with.

From the Adobe Photoshop Blog:

"However, CS6 users, as well as those running older versions of Photoshop (or earlier versions of Lightroom) can use the DNG Converter program to batch convert raw files shot with the latest cameras to DNG and thereby keep their old software up-to-date."

yvondaigle wrote:

I know jpeg and ARW files will be possible to open with Adobe Lightroom 6 with the new camera raw ...

Actually, Lightroom doesn't use the Adobe Camera RAW, plug-in. Lightroom has its own RAW processing module that is often developed in parrallel with Camera RAW, and you can use Camera RAW on its own as a prelude to editting an image in Lightroom, but Lightroom doesn't require Camera RAW to work with RAW files.

From the Adobe Camera RAW webpage:

"Applications that support Adobe Camera Raw include Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, After Effects, and Bridge. Additionally, Adobe Lightroom is built upon the same powerful raw image processing technology that powers Adobe Camera Raw."

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5 (790 Views)

Thank you for your fast answer. I have another question:

The jpeg files of the RX100 V be opened by Lightroom 5.7 and Photoshop CS6?

Professional
Message 4 of 5 (787 Views)

yvondaigle wrote:

Thank you for your fast answer. I have another question:

The jpeg files of the RX100 V be opened by Lightroom 5.7 and Photoshop CS6?

Yes. JPEG files are JPEG files. It doesn't matter what camera created them or which image editting application last editted them. There's nothing "camera specific" about JPEG files like there is for RAW files.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (785 Views)

Thank you

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook