Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Cybershot Cameras

New Contributor
USER-944926
Accepted Solution

Memory card locked, can't take pictures ... help!

Hi all, hope you can help ...

I own a Sony Cybershot digital camera (14.1 mega pixels), model #DSC-W350. It's not listed in the tech support guide so here I am.

I took the camera to WalMart yesterday to have settings fixed (pictures settings internal memory to memory card) and the woman took my picture when she was finished and it worked just fine. Today, for some unfathomable-to-me reason, I can't take a picture. When I tried, the message "Memory card locked" pops up. I tried flipping through menus hoping to find settings to unlock it but to no avail.

So ... how do I unlock a locked memory card?! Any help will be muchly appreciated! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-944926

Re: Memory card locked, can't take pictures ... help!

Never mind, y'all ... I figured it out while downloading via my little Targus card reader.

Yeesh ... so simple, just stupided out <knocks self soundly upside the head> ... answer is 'simply push the little yellow tab up where it was pushed down before' on the memory card itself.

;p

Thanks anyway!
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Hello,
Welcome to the User Discussion Forums.
Yep! you found it, just like the 3.5 Disks of old! same concept.
Just click the tab and you can protect your data from erasure.
Glad you were able to discover it so quickly.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Madelinehf

Camera says "Memory card locked", my grand baby is coming over this afternoon ! What to do...:womanfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Madelinehf

I found it right away, so sorry my brain doesn't work.

How do I prevent this from happening again?

Please use plain text.
FrancisG

Good to hear it is working now! This depends on your camera's model number and the type of memory card you are using. As previously posted by USER-944926 and KimberlyS, memory card have a switch you can slide to protect the images and prevent accidental erasure. You can refer to the image below to locate the lock swtich of a Memory Stick / Memory Stick Pro (left) and an SD memory card (right):

card             SD

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
prabhat9999

I was being extra smart in taking the card out from the card holder. Before that , I had already locked the card by sliding the yellow tab. But somehow I broke the card into two pieces and the yellow tab also got out from the card.I joined the two parts and I can view the photos but I can't click the photos as the memory card is locked. How do I unlock it as there is no yellow tab?? Do I have to  buy a new memory card? Please reply ASAP as I have a function to attend tomorrow afternoon.

PS:- Using Sony Cybershot

Please use plain text.
PaulMnhtn

Good day prabhat9999!

I regret to hear that you've had such an experience with the memory card and it seems that it will require repair. If you cannot create backup copies of the pictures on to your computer you may send us the memory card and our team here will recover the data for you.

For more details on how to send the memory card for data retrieval please visit http://www.sony.com/mediaservices and click on Ordering information.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
prabhat9999

I can copy the data from memory card.. No problem with that. Thanks for the quick reply.

Please use plain text.