Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (430 Views)
Accepted Solution

My Cybershot DSC-HX50 camera no longer connects to my computer

I have a Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V.  I used the camera & transferred photos successfully to my notebook via the USB cable March 5th as I have always done.  I tried to transfer photos today, March 9th, & I get "USB Mode Connecting... Check connected device".  I have made no changes to my computer, although HP did an update sometime within the past week which I wish now I'd paid more attention to.  I'm running an HP ENVY dv7 notebook pc with Windows 8.1.  

I connected to a desktop unit to determine if my problem was with the camera or the notebook.  The desktop MAC & my camera connected via USB just fine.

I do not have a disc so I downloaded the only thing offered for my model via Sony's site, "Play Memories Home".  That did nothing.  I also tried to follow the directions in the Support area under "How to uninstall & reinstall a camera USB driver from Device Manager".  The problem I ran into with that is that neither Sony DSC or USB Mass Storage Device displays in the drop down (as per the insturctions) - so that didn't work for me.

I'm so frustrated!  I've used this camera & notebook for years without incident & all of a sudden...poof...I've got a problem & I'm not savvy enought to fix it.

Has anyone out there experienced anything like this?  I could really use any help/advice you'd be willing to offer.

Thanks,

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 4 (422 Views)

Re: My Cybershot DSC-HX50 camera no longer connects to my computer

UPDATE:  The USB setting on my camera has always been set on Auto.  Since nothing I've tried for the past four hours has fixed the problem - I switched the setting to MTP.  Voila!  I can connect to my notebook again.  This "fix" makes abslutely no sense to me, but I thought I'd share in case it might help someone else someday.

This info was not included in my manual but I did come across it online at docs.esupport.sony.com/DSCHX50_HX50V_guide/en/contents/07/02/10/10.html:

USB Connect Setting

Selects the USB mode when connecting the camera to a computer or a USB device using the micro USB cable.

MENU (Settings) (Main Settings) [USB Connect Setting] then choose desired mode

Auto
Depending on the computer or other USB devices you connect to the camera, the connection mode is automatically selected from [MTP] or [Mass Storage].
When you use Windows 7 or Windows 8, [MTP] is selected and Windows 7 or Windows 8-specific functions become available.

MTP
Establishes a MTP connection between the camera and a computer or other USB devices.
When you use Windows 7 or Windows 8, [MTP] is selected and specific functions become available.
When you use other operating systems (Vista/XP, Mac OS X), the AutoPlay Wizard appears, and the still images in the recording folder on the camera are imported to the computer.

Mass Storage
Establishes a Mass Storage connection between the camera and a computer or other USB device.

Notes
  • If Device Stage* does not appear when connecting the camera to a Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer, set [USB Connect Setting] to [Auto].

* Device Stage is a menu screen to manage connected devices, such as a camera. (Function of Windows 7 or Windows 8)
Professional
Message 3 of 4 (399 Views)

rukittenme wrote:

I connected to a desktop unit to determine if my problem was with the camera or the notebook.  The desktop MAC & my camera connected via USB just fine.

This tells me that the problem isn't with the camera.

Try reseting the AutoPlay settings in your notebook.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Rookie
Message 4 of 4 (362 Views)

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook