Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Cybershot Cameras

Groovin'
concordesst
Accepted Solution

RX100 Battery Drain

I have a Sony DSC-RX100 and am having a battery drain issue. I can place a fully charged battery in the camera, and then place it on a table and let it sit. Sometimes it is fine, but other times I turn it on after a week only to see the message "Battery Exhausted." This happens with multiple batteries so I am sure this is something to do with the camera. I have see others on here and elsewhere on the web complain about the lens extending in their pocket and causing this. I can assure you this is not the case here and the battery is being exhausted without the camera even being moved. 

Is Sony aware of this issue? Will a firmware update solve it?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ErikV

Re: RX100 Battery Drain

[ Edited ]

Hi concordesst,

The battery will drain progressively, when the Camera is idle. This is normal operation.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
capsony

I disagree with the moderator about  Battery life and this particular model of camera. I have owned many digital cameras and many digital devices, and I've never had one that drained unexpectedly. The battery in this camera, for some reason, drains after anywhere from one day to three weeks when not in use. I'm in the beginning of the second trip where my RX100 has completely drained the battery without use, after starting with a full charge. 

Today, 4 days after leaving home with a full charge, and after taking only 8 photos, I pulled out my camera to find the battery dead and the camera was very warm.  I have thae auto shut off feature active, and shuts off after 1 minute.   Any other thoughts as to why this model drains the battery unexpectely?

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
PeterCaptcha

This is not normal operation. I've had many digital cameras including a Sony, and this never happens the way this is being described. I have had the RX-100 for six months and until about a month ago the charging was fine. Lately though, I'll charge it fully, use it perhaps for a bit or maybe not, then not use it for a day or maybe more, and then when I pick it up again the battery is completely dead, and then it says, Battery Exhausted.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Jlsamayoa

Hi, I bought my RX100 one Month ago, and ever since then I had a battery drain problem, I bought 3 extra batteries a hard case and even changeing the battery, It has happened. I left it in the table beside my bed and been cheking it the hole night and in front of my eyes it turns on... So I know is not a battery issue, or because it was bad placed in the case... It happened in a table infront of me. Sometimes when changeing battery I turn it off and in the same moment it turns on, the visor extends and the display starts showing the different options of the camera... I'd been doing this for one week now testing it, so I'm sure of what I'm saying.
I'm a professional photographer and I bought it because I was making a trip to Paris and i know it was a great camera, now I don't know what is going to happen in my trip, I'm very disappointed!
Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
KevinG

Greetings! I do not know if what everyone is experiencing here is within normal design specs for this camera model and battery or if there is indeed a legitimate issue. However, I want everybody to know I have forwarded your concerns to our Engineering Dept for review. Thank you all very much for the feedback.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
AndersonRx100

I have the same issue with my camera. It simply turn on by itself and remains on until the battery is dead. I'm very disappointed since I spend a lot of money in this cam. Sony, pleeeeease release a firmware to solve this issue. I bought it in the USA and can not even return or repair it since I live in other country. Very disappointing...

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Pdxpizzaboy

I have had two RX100's and both have had battery drain issues. Full charge, on flat surface overnight, and no battery. Full charge carried in soft leather belt case and no battery after taking ZERO photos. In hard case in drawer, some pressure on camera as case just fits, and no battery charge after a couple of days. Cannot use a camera that does this. A waste of money unless a workable solution is found.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Pdxpizzaboy

Kevin,
Any response from engineering? Any temp fixes? Without either in next week I will be returning my second RX100 and advising my friends not to buy a RX100.
pdxpizzaboy
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Pdxpizzaboy

After posting my questions to this forum I continued my search about the battery drain problem.  One site suggested that the DROP SENSOR being in the ON "position" seemed to be the cause of the drain.  It indicated that turning the DROP SENSOR to OFF seemed to cure the drain.

I turned that feature OFF and have seen no battery drain in two days.  Not sure that this is the cause, but you might do your own test. Seems a feature that I can leave OFF with little impact on my photos.

Let me know what you find please.  Also, SONY get with it and make a fix!!!!!

Please use plain text.