Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 6 (1,480 Views)
Accepted Solution

RX100V Dummy Battery Voltage...

I've just received a dummy battery for my RX100V. It is a strait passthrough from power input to battery terminals. I have several DC power supplies that I can use but was wondering if a 5V DC 1A supply would work or if it is too much voltage since the battery is usually 3.6V or less. Just wondering how fussy the RX100V internal battery circuitry is and if anyone has any experience with this.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6 (1,458 Views)

Re: RX100V Dummy Battery Voltage...

[ Edited ]

Camera with USB input is suitable fo any 5V charger or connect to a computer USB.

Battery terminal is 3.6V , that is a risk of trying a dummy power to the battery terminal of expensive camera.

Camera manual page 28 video continuous shooting up to 29 minute, page 32 overheating protection.

Camcorder is best for video shooting.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 6 (1,451 Views)

[ Edited ]

GPS-CAM,

I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me. A dummy battery is not a battery. It slides into the battery compartment like a real battery and has a wire coming out of it and the camera. However by itself, it does not supply any power and it can't be charged. You can then connect a power supply to it and it appears to the camera like a working battery. One of the advantages of using a dummy battery is that there is no battery heating up the camera. So the camera doesn't heat up as much and can record longer before overheating. Also the external power source can be a large battery or a power supply that feeds off of mains power.

I know that the RX100V can be powered via the USB port, however I want to use a sony remote control on that connector but still use an external source of power without battery heating. That is why I'm going with a dummy battery. I can build a power adapter, however since I have a bunch of 5VDC wall warts, and the simplest thing to do is just use one of those. So I am asking people on this forum if they have had any experience with that since I do not want to fry my camera.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 6 (1,422 Views)

Is it similar to this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Coupler-DSC-RX1-DSC-RX1R-DSC-RX100/dp/B01DNA9XXI

This adapter seems to supply 4.2V.

I won't risk using more than that for a rather expensive camera, though.

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 6 (1,202 Views)

Did you ever find out an answer to your question? I too would like to do the same thing and use the USB port for remote control and use a dummy battery for power. Would feeding a 5V USB power to the dummy battery work safely or would it cause damage to the camera? 

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 6 (1,199 Views)

Yes, I did solve the problem and it works great. I can now record uhd on an external recorder indefinitely. I was able to locate an unregulated dummy battery and I purchased a small 2amp adjustable supply. I set it to around 4v. That little camera is a beast.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook