Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 12 (2,815 Views)

Sony Hx400v supply power

Hello everyone.
I have a quick question.
Is it possible to charge the sony hx400v with a usb external battery pack using usb cable while taking shots.
The reason I ask is because i am trying to do a long timelapse movie and the the supplied sony usb cable won't charge and take shots at the same time.
Is there a way around this. I would be shooting outside and wouldn't have access to a ac wall socket. Hence the external usb battery pack.
Please advice.
Expert
Message 2 of 12 (2,808 Views)

Re: Sony Hx400v supply power

From what I understand, no, it's not possible.

The USB is purely for connecting to the computer for file transfer, or provide charging. You can't charge while using the camera via USB cable.

Your only option is to get an AC power adapter and use extension cables to get it to the computer.
Best regards,
David Tran
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 12 (2,778 Views)

I am shooting in an open field with no access to ac plug
Professional
Message 4 of 12 (2,774 Views)

You should be able to use the HX400 when it is connected to a laptop computer via a microUSB cable, depending on the USB Power Supply setting on the Setup menu. The laptop computer must be turned on, and cannot be in sleep or other power saving mode.

BTW, the USB cable is coated with PVC, which rodents of all kinds love to chew on, so you may need to tend to this regularly and apply other appropriate precautions.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 12 (2,770 Views)

Do u mean the camera battery will charge and I can record a movie at the same time?
Can I use a usb battery pack instead of a laptop to feed power into the camera while recording?
This is what I have
USB External Battery Pack 20000mAh 5V/2.1A (Black Limefuel Lite LP2... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OHZVN5U/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_fUcBvb17SZDRX
Enthusiast
Message 6 of 12 (2,767 Views)

Trying to make a time lapse movie with 900+ shots, 10 second intervals
Professional
Message 7 of 12 (2,720 Views)

[ Edited ]

As I understand it, the HX400 will be powered from the "laptop", as in, power from the "laptop" won't be used to recharge the camera's own battery, just to run the camera. The device you have can probably handle that for the 2.5+ hours you want the camera to run.

BTW, if you don't have any plans for the individual images (except that you'll use them to create the time-lapse video), then you can save some space (and probably some battery) by setting the quality to Standard, and the aspect ratio to whatever the video will use (4:3 for MP4, 16:9 for everything else.)

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 8 of 12 (1,637 Views)

Just like myself

I want to do the same thing, owning a HX400V just for a couple of days. I'm a professional automatizer, and am able to share some basic knowledge, and what I found to be possible.

The Users Manual explains that USB external supply is possible by using an additional Adapter Sony Model AC-UD10 or AC-UD11.

There are two aspects to USB powered operation:

1. The original charcher and/or a computer USB port is providing less than the camera consumes: Charching time is far longer than internal battery supplying time.
  2. There is a digital comunication between the camera and such a Sony charcher, that will allow such an operating mode, and if not, it won't be allowed.

I have not yet tried an USB Power Pack conected over an USB cable, but I guess that no other power source than what is planed for will be accepted by the camera, for operation supplying. If not so, there would be no accessory on the market, such as the below described dummy battery. This seems to belong to their product design and marketing strategy, not to hurt their own professional segment. Why can for exemple the 'Smart Remote Control App' not be used at a camera mode such as  i📷  or  i📷+ , and shutter times up to 30''? As I see this, there seems to be no obvious technical reason, only marketing strategy. I don't worry about this, it must be very hard to manugacture such a good camera for such a good price, maybe hopeless without such things.

The Patriotic way:

One should use manufacturer accessories, in this case such as the Sony charcher AC-UD10 or AC-UD11.

To provide AC in the field, one can use an DC to AC inverter for cars.

• If one has a vehicle next, one can get the power directly from its battery.
  • From a cigare jack needs some care, needs the ignition key inserted, turned into its first stage, not yet ignition, and to turn off any other consumer not needed: For example a Radio may consume a lot.
  • If no vehicle is around, one can use any 12 Volt battery: Its capacity, size and weight at best should be calculated if the invertors input current is known.
  • To size such a battery, one may ask any electrition to measure the consumption in Ampere, then multiply that value by the requested number of houres, and one gets a parameter in Ampere-Hours, what is the defining parameter for battery capacitiy specifications. One gives at least additional 50% reserve, or even more for very cold conditions.

Without any reasearching of the market, I guess about: 

• Sony charcher AC-UD10 or AC-UD11 ≈ 50-100$
  • AC inverter for cars                              ≈ 50 $
  • Large 12 Volt battery                            ≈ 50 $
  • Charcher for 12 Volt battery                 ≈ 50 $

The lightwight way:

The battery type for the DSC HX-400V is the NP-BX1. One can google "NP BX1 dummy battery", and find the following:

From the manufacturer Ringteam Tech, and different sellers, such as AliExpress, I found a dummy battery, to put in the slot instaed the original one.

• The cover of the camera then has to remain open, what means, the cable needs to be secured very strong at either the camera belt or the tripod, for not to damage the very cute battery locking.
  • If one of the two plugs is pulled out, the game is over without any warning or chance to intervent, they need to be secured as well.
  • Any USB power source that is strong enough can be used, such as USB Power Packs.
  • USB-Power Packs are many very cheap on the market. Some of them with integrated LED flashlight, very useful for the night.
  • They can be used at the same time for smartphones or tablets as well.
  • They can be charched at any USB port, only slowly but good enogh for me.

If handling careful enogh, this seems to be a very lightweight, useful and cheap solution, but needs a lot of care, and at he risk of loosing the cameras warranty.

• Dummy NP-BX1 battery with cable   ≈ 12 $
  • USB power station                             ≈ 20 $
  • Roll of good cellotape                        ≈   3 $     cliing well only when warm
  • Or any better cable fixation                ≈ 20 $ + some bricolage

I'm not yet sure what to choose for myself, hope to have served, and wish many shots.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 12 (837 Views)

I tried using one of those jumper boxes for boosting dead batteries to power my hx400v for a timelapse, but it only lasted just under 3 hours.

I just ordered the Maxoak 50,000 mah to power my Hx400v for a full 900 shot timelapse, I'll test it out and report back the results.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 12 (816 Views)

What I forgot to mention, the capacities for USB operation. The original Sony is pecified as 950 mAh (≈0.95 Ah) and in my camera enduring the following:

• 600 shoots, one every 10 seconds ≈ 6 per minute ≈ 100 minutes ≈ 1 hour 40 minutes
  • The display is manually switched to the finder, what I found to be the smaller conumer. Some say that it is the monitor, but this sounds unlogical to me: Bigger size + higher resolution + to be visible in the daylight (brighter) ≈ more power needed.
  • No motors are used, except only once set up the zoom and focus. Autofocus shoud never be used, is not only consuming power, but disturbing the record as well.
  • The voltage will be transformed by one or the other technology, by very high efficienty factor, 95%++, or would produce some warmeness.

So let's say about:

•   1 Ah for   100 minutes,  1h  40 min
  •   2 Ah for   200 minutes,  3h  20 min
  •   3 Ah for   300 minutes,  5h  00 min
  •   4 Ah for   400 minutes,  6h  40 min
  •   5 Ah for   500 minutes,  8h  20 min
  •   6 Ah for   600 minutes, 10h 00 min
  •   7 Ah for   700 minutes, 11h 40 min
  •   8 Ah for   800 minutes, 13h 20 min
  •   9 Ah for   900 minutes, 15h 00 min
  • 10 Ah for 1000 minutes, 16h 40 min
  • 11 Ah for 1100 minutes,  18h 20 min
  • 12 Ah for 1200 minutes, 20h 00 min
  • 13 Ah for 1300 minutes, 21h 40 min
  • 14 Ah for 1400 minutes, 23h 20 min
  • 15 Ah for 1500 minutes, 25h 00 min

What the manufacturer of a battery is specifying, and what finally is provided, is a question for itself. High load is causing additional loss, what here not should be the case. All types of batteries are slowly self discharching, shoud be fresh charged before using. In one cycle, some are to be, if possible, - only entirely charged - entirely used - entirely charged - aso, others shoud be handled differently… serious vendors are providing the right recommondation. Almost all technical specifications on the planet are valid at a temperature of 20° celsius, what in this case (a chemical reaction) is taking a great influence. I guess for assumed -20° celsius, the double capacity woud be needed, and in Sybiria or Alaska at winter time, at -50° celsius, nothing could not work not without a heated housing. And not to mention the ageing factor…

Your 50'000 mAh equals a smaller car battery, and shoud endure more than 3 days and 3 nights. If you're going to try it out, you will see how many mAh's of what size they sold you, good luck.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook