Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 2 (369 Views)
Accepted Solution

Transferring images from RX100M3 to external drive

I'm going to be traveling and would prefer not to take my laptop with me. Is it possible to copy your images from the RX100M3 directly to an external drive using the USB connection?

Professional
Message 2 of 2 (354 Views)

Re: Transferring images from RX100M3 to external drive

Unfortunately no. USB requires a Host and a Device, and except for a few tablets, no device can be both. A camera can't be a Device when connected to a computer (Host), then be a Host when connected to a hard disk (Device). That's why the Host and Device ends of USB Cables are different.

One thing you could do is create an account with an online photo sharing site like Flickr, and use one of the computers that hotels provide in their Business Centers, to transfer your photos to that site each day. When you return home, you could transfer the photos from the site to your computer.

You could also use Microsoft's OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox or other  cloud storage service to do the same thing.

These are all free, btw.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook