Cybershot Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 3 (289 Views)

WiFi Security on RX100 iii

I really like that my Sony RX100 iii can connect to my phone's WiFi to transfer photos. I recently downloaded the Direct Upload app so that I could post to my social media networks more easily. Yet, while this seems a very handy feature, I am concerned about what security measures may be or not be in place. For example, say you are connecting to a free WiFi service in a public place and want to upload some photos to your Facebook account. What is to prevent hackers that may be present from accessing your connection and leaving malware on your camera that may later be transfered to your phone when next you are connected to your phone's WiFi again? There clearly needs to be some security options in the camera's WiFi setup area. At present I don't see any. Smiley Sad  Am I missing something?

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 3 (129 Views)

Re: WiFi Security on RX100 iii

I am also learning about the security of the RX100 iii, which is bad if it is infected with a virus when accessing public wifi network.

Expert
Message 3 of 3 (116 Views)

Re: WiFi Security on RX100 iii

dbe4876 wrote:

I really like that my Sony RX100 iii can connect to my phone's WiFi to transfer photos. I recently downloaded the Direct Upload app so that I could post to my social media networks more easily. Yet, while this seems a very handy feature, I am concerned about what security measures may be or not be in place. For example, say you are connecting to a free WiFi service in a public place and want to upload some photos to your Facebook account. What is to prevent hackers that may be present from accessing your connection and leaving malware on your camera that may later be transfered to your phone when next you are connected to your phone's WiFi again? There clearly needs to be some security options in the camera's WiFi setup area. At present I don't see any. Smiley Sad  Am I missing something?

What malware have been left on any cellphone from a public wifi?

Anyways - facebook has used https:// for more than several years now, as do most other services.  

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook