Cybershot Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 11 of 21 (1,948 Views)

Re: sony dsc-h5 camera, battery problem

Good day Malfunctionuk,

I have double checked the links that are found on this thread and the results are listed below.

ErikV's link on message 2 is working:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39575

FrancisG's link on message 4 is working:

Sony UK Support Team

ScottF's links on message 8 are not working:

First link error - "Permission Denied An illegal parameter was received." 

(https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39575)

This is due to the typo on the URL with the parenthesis at the end.

Correct link:

Second link error - "404 Page Not Found"

Correct link:

Third link error - "404 Page Not Found"

Correct link:
Rookie
Message 12 of 21 (1,377 Views)

I had quit using my DSC-H5 camera due to the battery issue a couple of years ago and calling in without resolution. Decided to research again as seems a waste to have it sitting on a shelf gathering dust. Am I still able to get this repaired? If so, how and where do I send in the US?
Message 13 of 21 (1,360 Views)

Hi atljewell,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue with the camera? Maybe we can help with some troubleshooting options before you send it in for repairs.

As for where you can send it in for service, kindly visit http://www.precisioncamera.com/. Precision Camera Repair is Sony's authorized service center for CyberShot units.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Apprentice
Message 14 of 21 (1,339 Views)

[ Edited ]

Mitchelle

from my post earlier ( 07-25-2013) this typifies the problem

--------------------------

I have a the same problem with the Sony dsc-h5, which has got progressively worst.
Ready for a trip out tomorrow I have bought some new batteries, put in the batteries and turned on. Because I had not used the camera for a while I had to set the date and time. That done and before taking even a single picture the camera started flashing low battery, then shut down within 30 seconds. I then tested the batteries in another device and it showed over 90% of power.

---------------------------

no matter what batteries are put the camera shows battery low, this problems appears to be widespread on a lot of posts and problems with this camera.

I have not taken it to be serviced because of the thought of being charged to investigate it.

I think under the sales of goods act now , it is Sony's responsbility to prove the cause of the this was not in the camera at the time it was sold.

Rookie
Message 15 of 21 (1,326 Views)

Not sure what else there is to tell.  I can put new batteries in the camera and within a matter of minutes, it will give me a warning the batteries are low and then will shut itself off.  I can test the batteries and they will test 'good'.  This happens with any type of battery.  It's always been a battery hog, but nothing like it is now.  Can only take a few shots before it shuts itself off.  

Message 16 of 21 (1,295 Views)

Hi All,

Thanks for that information. From what you both described about the issue, it may be an issue with the terminals of the camera not reading the battery correctly. The only option we're able to provide would be sending the camera for evaluation and repairs. 

Note that the evaluation will not cost you anything, but you will be charged once you consent to the repair. You can send it to http://www.precisioncamera.com/.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Apprentice
Message 17 of 21 (1,288 Views)

Hi Mitchelle

Thank you for the reply, but I don think sending te camera to the US from the UK is a worthwhile solution.

As you say the terminals MAY be the cause. I have checked them to make sure that they are making good contact with the batteries, Unless there are some electrical components on them

Rookie
Message 18 of 21 (1,278 Views)

This is a known issue with these cameras as other posts clearly point out.  I should have pushed back a couple of years ago when I called into your support and got no useful support.  Instead, I just started using my camera phone all the time.  The estimated cost of $166 + shipping isn't worth the repair.  I'll buy a new Nikon so I know the quality is better for close to that price.  Will not buy anything else Sony.  :-(

Enthusiast
Message 19 of 21 (566 Views)

We recently bought a used Sony Cybershot DSC-H5. The previous owner, whom we know personally, had not used the camera very much due to not being able to figure out many of the features. We have the same problem as described here and in many other forums. Using new NiMh batteries, only about 20-25 photos can be taken before the batteries show completely dead and the camera shuts itself off. I checked Prestige Camera's website as suggested to have the camera "evaluated." The cost of $166.00 and then the cost of repair would be approaching the price of a new camera, so sending it in isn't an option. Since an internet search can bring up many forums and reviews on various sites describing this same problem over the past several years, Sony should have recalled this camera long ago. It looks like I'll be going back to my 35mm made in 1982 and no problems.

Message 20 of 21 (526 Views)

Hi Tsalagiman,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Sony takes into consideration all feedbacks to improve the performance and quality of our products and services. We're always looking to make Sony better. We'll definitely forward this concern to the proper department.

To check for the available service options, please visit:

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/service.pl

Regards,

-Anthony

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook