Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Dash

Groovin'
USER-922788

Buh-Bye Dash.

[ Edited ]

Well, I've given up. :smileysad:

The ol' Sony Dash is now boxed up and tossed in to the attic with my pile of other useless old gadgets.  Once one of the best... now just as useless as that little pyramid thing that received text news updates via radio signal in the early 90's, my first B&W TV, my 3 Cybiko pocket PCs, my AOL IMFree from Motorola, my original GameBoy, my Atari Video Cartridge System, my Atari 800 PC, my PC XT, my 386 PC, my VCR, my Dell Axim pocket PC, my 2 Sony WatchMans, my Chumby One, etc., etc., etc.

I always hate junking anything that is still 100% fully functional, but there comes a time when things become more trouble than their worth.  With no Shoutcast, it's usefulness is at an end for me.

Thank you, Sony.  It was a great little device.  Time for me to move on.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
miso-dashi

Re: Buh-Bye Dash.

Maybe we all should contact them and suggest to actually re-instate a customer service department:

From one of their posts....

If you have any questions regarding the Customer Experience Improvement Program, please contact SD-PSSP-CX@am.sony.com

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
USER-966492

I feel your pain I too am disgusted with the way we Dash owners are treated they sell all these options for you to buy it then they don't give any support when they don't work. I really wish there was a way we could get them to fix it how they contact us.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
ddburton

I just read a story that mentioned that this last fiscal year was the biggest loss in SONYs 67 year history.  I wonder why?  Could it be the lack of customer support or the failure to resolve the glitches and problems with its products?  The truth is that there are a number of reasons that the company is failing.  However, their product support is horrible.  They Sold dashes all the way up to the point that they decided to pull the rug out from their customers.  I believe the demise of the DASH was probably directly tied to the demise of its cousin, chumby... however, SONY had the opportunity to contihue this product line or at the very least, continue to provide support for their paying customers.  I for one will never buy another SONY product.  If they don't get their act together, SONY is going to go the way of the Dash.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
USER-922788

My stack of old junk tells me it's no use complaining.  You're lucky if you get 2 years of support for any electronics device (the Dash will be 3 years old in April 2013).  Technology changes so quickly these days.  New products come and push out the old.  I had my Dell Axim 30 for just 6 months before Dell dropped support for that model, then completely abandonned the entire product line less than 2 years later.  Companies refuse to open source their devices so you will be forced to toss those aside for newer and shinier ones they will be glad to sell you.

I have a small $50 Android tablet that can to everything my Dash did, except scroll thru different apps automatically.  But, I can save my apps offline and not have to connect to a proprietary server (that will disappear in a couple years) to reinstall/reconfigure anything.  Maybe there's an app to scroll thru different apps?  Maybe I'll develop one?  More than likely, I'll just move on and adjust.

Save yourself the headaches, drop them before they drop you.  You know it's coming anyway.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
cmwpdx

The difference is that your Axim still works.  I know this because mine still does, I still surf on it and listen to internet radio and play games from time to time.  It runs off this open thing called the internet, with a normal browser, and various windows ppc programs that have not suddenly stopped working.  It will run until it dies.  The fact that my phone does all this better does not make the Axim a dead device.

The Dash in contrast is locked into Sony's (mostly Chumby based) infrastructure.  Sony has an obligation to keep that infrastructure up to perform at least the basic functions of the device (radio, photos), or replace the infrastructure if inoperative because Chumby has become a stub, for the duration of the reasonable useful life of the device.    I bought a Dash instead of a cheaper Infocast for exactly this reason--knowing Sony would be around.

While we don't need 100 clock widgets, we do need this.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
USER-922788

Yup, my Axim still works.  So does my Atari 800, my PC XT, my 386, and my 486.  All are in perfect working condition and internet capable.  But without security updates I keep them off the internet.  All can be used to play games, edit photos, listen to mp3s, etc.  My Dash still works as well.  The clock is fully functional, I can use the USB port to play media.  But why bother?  The manufacturer has stopped support.  It's junk by today's standards.  New times, new toys.  Time to move on before you get run over.

Please use plain text.