Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Dash

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 8 (607 Views)

DSX-A400BT Blue Tooth only works sometimes...

Boy did I shose the wrong product. Car stereos aren't even on the "Select Location" list. 

Anyway, I bought a DSX-A400BT from Best Buy because I wanted to sync my phone to play music and ebooks. I installed it, and everything seemed fine for about a week, it sounds really nice, the blue tooth would sync when I got in the car, even with my phone in my pocket and picked up where I left off. Now the blue tooth radio only works intermittently. Sometimes my phone struggles to link up, but the DSX-A400BT just displays, NO DEVICE, or whatever it says. Other times it links up as soon as the radio comes on.

When it doesn't work, there's no indication that a blue tooth radio is on. When it does work, there's a blue tooth icon lite up, along with two other radio/phone icons. It's not really predictable. It I turn the ignition off, then back on, sometimes it starts working. I've tried turning the radio off directly, but that doesn't seem to cycle whatever piece of trash blue tooth radio Sony puts in the second-rate waste of my time and money.

I called Sonya customer care, but that was a joke, a caricature of worthless telephone support. They hung up on me after getting frustrated over not being able to understand letters, even when I spoke them phonetically. Finding support on this website is also an Easter egg hunt. Sony sure doesn’t want to be bothered by use fools ending up in their failure rate.

So, does anyone have any ideas about this problem with Sony blue tooth? Should I just take the thing back and learn my lesson about buying auto stereo equipment from a movie company? Is there some kind of miserable firmware upgrade I need to figure out?

Thanks

Message 2 of 8 (563 Views)

Re: DSX-A400BT Blue Tooth only works sometimes...

Hi Horseatingweeds,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

You may try resetting the stereo to the factory default settings.

See steps in the image below.

DSX-A400BTreset2.jpg

Thanks,

>Joffrey

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 3 of 8 (516 Views)

It's been about a week since I reset and the blue tooth has been connecting. I wonder what the issue was...
Apprentice
Message 4 of 8 (273 Views)

It lasted a little while... The Bluetooth is still very slow to connect and eventually stops connecting, requiring a another reset. Today it stopped working all together. I knew there was an issue again when it took nearly 30 seconds to light up after I started the car, then there was no sound from anything, even the tuner. I eventually had to do another reset. 

What a piece of garbage. Can I exchange this thing or something???? 

Message 5 of 8 (225 Views)

Hi Horseatingweeds,

Welcome and thank you for considering SONY Community!

Have you tried calling our Technical Support team about this issue?
If so, kindly send your reference number/event ID to me via Private Message(PM) so we can further assist you.

Thanks,
>Joffrey

Apprentice
Message 6 of 8 (218 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've contacted customer support a few times. The first time was on the phone a week after I installed it. That guy wanted all kinds of information, full address, etc. When I asked him why he needed all the information to help me connect my phone to the stereo with Bluetooth, he hung up. All my attempts since have been via chat, which is better, but their only idea is to reset. It works for a while after resetting, but every time I start the car it’s a gamble. It might connect within 15 second, 5 minutes, or not at all, or produce no sound at all, other than its beeping. This miserable thing beeps a lot. I have a few other blue tooth devices. They all connect eagerly. I know there's an issue when I regularly find myself rubbing the phone on the stereo, talking to it, swearing. When it does connect, it's a reliefe. That's where I'm at. 

The last time I contacted support, I told them I wanted a new stereo. They gave me a number, saying it was Sony customer relations, with hours as late as 8pm so I could call them after work. It turned out to be some radio repair place with banking hours. That made me pretty angry. I decided then that I had simply made a consumer mistake that I would be careful not to repeat. No more SONY. 

Later I contacted support again and they gave me a different number. This one also didn't work but it gave me one that did. I called these guys and they said I could send them the stereo and they would exchange it, saying it would only take about a week. They said they would email me a shipping label on Monday. It’s now Monday after 6pm and no sign of it yet. (Also not in spam folder)

I’m starting to realize that my old setup was superior. All I had was a radio, factory original, horrible sound, but it worked reliably, 100%. I could listen to my phone with earphones which were also 100% reliable, and had great sound. Why did I want a change? I really didn't realize what I had with that relationship. I miss it. We were so inocent and free! Nothing like now, driving around wondering if sound will eventually come out of the speakers, quiet, trying to operate it and not crash the car. Whoever designed this probably doesn’t even drive! I'm willing to bet $100 right now. I bet he (OR SHE) takes a super fast Japanese train to work and buys Apple products.   

Another annoyance: When this thing switches to the tuner from Bluetooth, it’s incredibly loud. For example, to hear the Bluetooth device I need to be above 40 on the dial. For the same volume on the radio, 12 or 15. So, the first few times I switched from Bluetooth to the tuner I nearly had a heart attack, invented some new swear word phrases that will probably land me in ******, and suffered hearing damage. Worse, for some idiotic reason the volume ****** is also a button that shifts you into a menu. So, when you’re scrambling to turn down the painful noise, you have to be very gentle, Ginger now, careful, or you’ll depress the ****** and make it no-longer a volume ******. THEN you have to remember which button (not the ******) shifts you out of the menu and makes the miserable volume ****** a volume ****** again.

I don’t feel like I’m explaining this correctly. It’s so utterly foolish. More simply put, if you depress the volume ******, it converts the volume nob into a menu ******. Depressing the volume ****** again DOES NOT convert it back to a volume control, rather, it shifts you deeper into the menu. To convert the volume ****** back into a volume control you have to push one of the other random buttons (I can’t remember which), THEN turn the ****** several times (WITHOUT DEPRESSING IT!!!!) in order to lower the ear-shattering sound.

Why in the world would Sony have such a totally unintuitive and unusable interface design? Why isn’t there a simple Bluetooth button too? This is the first Bluetooth device I've ever seen without a Bluetooth button.   

Anyway, I have a feeling I won’t ever receive the shipping label, and if I do, it will be more endless hassle. The likelihood that I’ll even have a fully-functional Sony stereo in my car is lower than 20%, I’m thinking, and that's with a willingness to make 20 more phone calls -- a willingness I don't have. It’s probably too late, but I’m going to try to take it back to Best Buy.

Sony is a movie company.

Apprentice
Message 7 of 8 (204 Views)

[ Edited ]

Why is the word k-n-o-b being censered? 

Apprentice
Message 8 of 8 (25 Views)

I finally got my return label. Last night I removed this miserable 'stereo' and replaced it with my old facotry-original radio-only stereo. I turned the key just to make sure everything still worked. It sure did. My faithful old radio came right on. It even still has my presets! What was I ever thinking, replacing this? 

I had planned on exchanging this new Sony radio, selling the new one on Ebay, and buying a decent stereo, perhaps a pioneer or other non-Sony stereo. (I'm obviosly done with Sony) But now I'm not even sure I need a new stereo at all. 

Originally I imagined a new stereo would allow me to easily connect my phone, or my girlfriend to connect her, and listen to e-books and music in the car without headphons -- similar to what I do at home with my bluetooth speaker or other bluetooth devices that actually work and connect. I even have this little Cambridge SoundWorks speaker I keep in the bedroom, $28, which connects consistently. No trouble. I didn't even read the direction. A funny name appeared on my phone's bluetooth menu, I tapped it, and the sound immediatelly appeared. It connects every single time and plays enthusiastically. Nothing like this Sony pick of trash, car accident, stress-inducing model of regressive technology. Now I think I'll stick with headphones for listening to my phone in the car, which by the way are old Sony headphone, which I really liked. 

I got new headphones resently, Bose this time. Too expensive, oddly flimsy plastic (for $300), but better than betting on Sony again. I've learned my lesson, both with regard to buying Sony and replacing working systems. I'll be sticking with Lenovo for my laptops and when I finally get an actuall TV, I have my eye on a 55" OLED LG. 

Now let's just see if I even get a Sony replacement stereo. I think the odds are slightly above 25%, given my experience so far with Sony customer care. They said it takes about 5 days.... lol  Even their email explains an itinerary that reached out past two week. If I receive a new stereo within 30 days of dropping it off at FedX, I'll be sure to post back here to express my amazement. 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook